'Doctor Who: Spearhead from Space' is coming August 13 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Staff

Default 'Doctor Who: Spearhead from Space' is coming August 13

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8997...spearhead.html

Last edited by Landy; 06-06-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 PM

I thought they weren't able to do older DW's on BD?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I thought they weren't able to do older DW's on BD?
'Spearhead from Space' is an exception. It was shot on 16mm film, which can be remastered to suitable quality for an HD release.

Essentially, the rest of classic Dr. Who (basically everything from the beginning until David Tennant's "Planet of the Dead" special) was shot on and/or only exists on PAL videotape. Thus, those episodes lack the acceptable native resolution needed for HD.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
'Spearhead from Space' is an exception. It was shot on 16mm film, which can be remastered to suitable quality for an HD release.

Essentially, the rest of classic Dr. Who (basically everything from the beginning until David Tennant's "Planet of the Dead" special) was shot on and/or only exists on PAL videotape. Thus, those episodes lack the acceptable native resolution needed for HD.
On top of that, many of the originals were were lost or destroyed. What remains are usually second or third generation copies (or worse), bootlegs, and audio recordings.

My question is, even though it was shot on 16mm, is this the original camera negatives, or some copy of a copy of a copy of a copy? I am cautiously excited about this - I won't be preordering - I will wait until a review comes out.

Can HDD PLEASE try to do a day 1 review of this, if at all possible? Granted, it would be even better if they send you guys a copy before hand.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 PM

"The original 16mm negatives were scanned and digitized using state-of-the-art equipment, and other work has included repairing damage done to one episode's negative caused by a reaction with chemicals during a printing process some years ago. Dirt has also been removed, grain lessened, joins cleaned up, and picture movement stabilized. The soundtrack, which had previously been remastered, was then added to the final master version."

Day one buy for me - Just remember that even though this is 'HD' it's framed in at 1.33:1
Old 06-08-2013, 11:39 AM

Odd, why is this the only episode they did on actual film?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Odd, why is this the only episode they did on actual film?
The union, cameramen went on strike, and the BBC had to go to a different union to get cameramen.. They used 16mm cameras instead of video tape.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 AM

Actually surprsied to see that this is being released on a Region A disc. Another website just reviewed the release on Blu-Ray of the 1965 and 1966 Doctor Who movies, but sadly they are Region B locked.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Wow, how'd I miss this news?

This is not only a pretty decent episode, but it sets up the Nesteen Empire which returned in the ninth doctor's first episode. Can't wait to own it.