scohen is offline Staff

Default 'Doctor Who: Spearhead from Space' is coming August 13

Last edited by Landy; 06-06-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

Dr Kain is offline Member

I thought they weren't able to do older DW's on BD?

Super-VHS is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I thought they weren't able to do older DW's on BD?
    'Spearhead from Space' is an exception. It was shot on 16mm film, which can be remastered to suitable quality for an HD release.

Essentially, the rest of classic Dr. Who (basically everything from the beginning until David Tennant's "Planet of the Dead" special) was shot on and/or only exists on PAL videotape. Thus, those episodes lack the acceptable native resolution needed for HD.
    "Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?"

gravis778 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
    'Spearhead from Space' is an exception. It was shot on 16mm film, which can be remastered to suitable quality for an HD release.

Essentially, the rest of classic Dr. Who (basically everything from the beginning until David Tennant's "Planet of the Dead" special) was shot on and/or only exists on PAL videotape. Thus, those episodes lack the acceptable native resolution needed for HD.
    On top of that, many of the originals were were lost or destroyed. What remains are usually second or third generation copies (or worse), bootlegs, and audio recordings.

My question is, even though it was shot on 16mm, is this the original camera negatives, or some copy of a copy of a copy of a copy? I am cautiously excited about this - I won't be preordering - I will wait until a review comes out.

Can HDD PLEASE try to do a day 1 review of this, if at all possible? Granted, it would be even better if they send you guys a copy before hand.

malakai is offline Member

"The original 16mm negatives were scanned and digitized using state-of-the-art equipment, and other work has included repairing damage done to one episode's negative caused by a reaction with chemicals during a printing process some years ago. Dirt has also been removed, grain lessened, joins cleaned up, and picture movement stabilized. The soundtrack, which had previously been remastered, was then added to the final master version."

Day one buy for me - Just remember that even though this is 'HD' it's framed in at 1.33:1

Dr Kain is offline Member

Odd, why is this the only episode they did on actual film?

malakai is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Odd, why is this the only episode they did on actual film?
    The union, cameramen went on strike, and the BBC had to go to a different union to get cameramen.. They used 16mm cameras instead of video tape.

gravis778 is offline Member

Actually surprsied to see that this is being released on a Region A disc. Another website just reviewed the release on Blu-Ray of the 1965 and 1966 Doctor Who movies, but sadly they are Region B locked.

eastx is offline Member

Wow, how'd I miss this news?

This is not only a pretty decent episode, but it sets up the Nesteen Empire which returned in the ninth doctor's first episode. Can't wait to own it.
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580