What is your favorite variation of Blu-Ray packaging? Least favorite? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Default What is your favorite variation of Blu-Ray packaging? Least favorite?

I'm talking about a variation beyond the regular Blu-Ray case. Such as Steelbooks, Digi-books, box sets, whatever.

I have yet to own a Steelbook, but they are appealing. I love the look of a Digi-book on a shelf, and they are easy to thumb through to read the extra content.

I'm a big fan of box sets, but my favorite one has my least favorite trend. The Aliens Anthology has a very cool book that holds the discs, but they slide into the page. Perhaps this is good for discs, as you aren't putting pressure on them to release them from a traditional holder, but I'm always concernd they are going to get scratched from the top edge of the space on the page (makes sense?).
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM

I don't like anything made of paper, like the cardboard boxes that a lot of Criterion movies come in (Godzilla, my copy of Chunking Express.) They stick out of the shelf, and they make me paranoid about damaging them. I do find them very aesthetically pleasing, I just wish they were invincible. And smaller.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
I don't like anything made of paper, like the cardboard boxes that a lot of Criterion movies come in (Godzilla, my copy of Chunking Express.) They stick out of the shelf, and they make me paranoid about damaging them. I do find them very aesthetically pleasing, I just wish they were invincible. And smaller.
DITTO x 10000000000000

I LOVE digibooks though, LOVE them. I almost prefer them over steelbooks.

I am a huge proponent of Limited Editions, but I prefer they come with a regular blu ray case so I can take that out and put them with the other movies and stock away the LE boxes with the other ones.

I have a Harry Potter movie that the case is a mask. it's pretty cool but I can't really put it anywhere. I don't like cases that are that eccentrically designed.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM

Currently, my favorite is the steel book version of Les Miserables. Second would have to be Peter Pan digi book.

I HATED the Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Home blu ray packaging. Too damn complicated to open. I like how the Universal Monsters Collection looks on the outside, but I hate how they stored the discs on the inside (in a tiny slip like cover where you have to grab the edge of the disc and pull it out!! NNNOOO!) I also hate any blu ray packaging that stacks blu discs on top of other discs. Cheap way for the studios to save $$. HATE IT AND ITS NOT CONSUMER FRIENDLY AT ALL!!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM

I love digibooks, the look of the case and the fact that they come with a booklet, since movies don't come with those anymore. My least favorite has to be slipcovers. They are pointless, easily damaged, add a ridiculous unnecessary step to opening or closing a case, and I can't get rid of them or buy a title that is supposed to have one without one, because I'm OCD and my head would explode.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 PM

Oh and I don't usually worry about being "green" so much, but flimsy eco cases inside a slipcover, seriously?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM

Worst: Planet of the Apes. Very odd, egregiously large, and not very easily accessible.
Favorite: Anything with a nice box slip cover that fits both disks neatly inside such as:
Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 AM

I hate anything that does not come in the standard blue cases. Cardboard cases are the worst, because they wear so easily and look like shit. Most of the time, I take the discs out and make my own cases.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 AM

I'm a fan of Viva Cases, too bad that is defunct now. Steelbooks and Ironpacks are basically the same though.

I'm basically a sucker for metal cases in general.

I really dislike it when cases use the 'slip' style of disk storage, by which I mean disks that have round slots on the case so you can stack them so each disk above is moved a bit on the X-axis. They're annoying to get in and out of the slips and I worry about damaging them.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 AM

Favorite - Digibooks - I love the booklets and they remind me of the days when DVDs used to come with little booklets in their cases talking about the movie. The only downside is that if the case/book gets ruined, it cannot be replaced.

Least Favorite - Steelbooks - I HATE THESE!! They scratch very easily, making the covers look bad and discs at times are so hard to get out of the tray you pretty much have to bend them to almost breakage point to get them out.