'IMAX: To The Arctic - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 AM

Default 'IMAX: To The Arctic - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'IMAX: To The Arctic - 3D.' While he says the movie has a good message, it seems to be a bit heavy-handed with the doom and gloom. This 3D Blu-ray offers a good audio and video presentation. Supplements are also much too light and forgettable. A rental at best.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8611/to_arctic_3d.html
Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM

Default A bit heavy-handed?

How about a lot. Ice cap is growing in the South pole. Wasn't Greenland "green" a long, long time ago? The Climate is changing all the time. A little naive to think Humans are causing anything to happen especially since "changes" were and have been happening long before Man's fossil fuel usage began. Both heating and cooling.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM

Think I will pass on this one. I have quite a bit of IMAX 3D titles. I'm good.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 PM

I saw this on the recent releases rack at Target and wanted to pick it up, but didn't know if it would show animals being hurt or killing other animals for food.

The review doesn't matter to me, but I couldn't find any mention of animals being hurt in the movie. Could someone who has seen it, clarify? Do the polar bears kills seals, etc. and does it show it?

I can't take real animal violence, natural or not. I really want to see this movie, though. African Cats was another movie I wanted to see, but avoided completely when I heard about how thematically damaging it was probably going to be to me.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 PM

you know, I never really gave it much thought that some might find animal violence in documentaries disturbing. Interesting.

But to answer your question, there is a bit of blood and gore from one animal kill, but we never actually see any animals attack or kill each other. Or more specifically, there is one scene of a polar bear eating its prey, but it's not shown catching it. As for the scene with the male bear chasing the cubs, it's not traumatic or even graphic, just suspenseful seeing the bears treat each other in such menacing ways in order to survive.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
you know, I never really gave it much thought that some might find animal violence in documentaries disturbing. Interesting.

But to answer your question, there is a bit of blood and gore from one animal kill, but we never actually see any animals attack or kill each other. Or more specifically, there is one scene of a polar bear eating its prey, but it's not shown catching it. As for the scene with the male bear chasing the cubs, it's not traumatic or even graphic, just suspenseful seeing the bears treat each other in such menacing ways in order to survive.
In stark contrast, I never really gave much thought that most people -don't- find animal violence in documentaries disturbing, haha. Every time a Disneynature movie comes out, I ask IMDb people if it is appropriate for someone sensitive to animal violence, and it seems I'm always mocked I appreciate the reasoning behind Disneynature documentaries, and really want to support them, but... I just can't support them in good conscience knowing that I can't even watch them myself. The good thing about DVDs, though, is that I can just skip through a part that is particularly disturbing, whereas if I'm in a theater, I'm generally locked in place.

Regarding your explanation, I understand... Hm... Call me a weirdo, but for some reason, if I see blood in the snow, I am doubly depressed and sad (because of being traumatized from a harp seals documentary). It's bizarre how something so specific can trigger something so terrifying for me, but that's how it is, I guess. Even in action movies, if I see blood on the snow... especially someone struggling to crawl in the snow, it brings back such painful and vivid memories from that one documentary. That documentary pretty much scarred me for life, and I think it's the reason why I am so apprehensive about seeing nature documentaries, despite their violent and disturbing content being completely minute in comparison.

I really want to see this, though. I love the scenery of the Arctic, as "desolate and lonely" as it is. Hearing your description of the violent content, I think I might be able to handle it, but I have a couple more questions:

How long does the "animal kill blood and gore" last? And... okay I feel really douchey asking this, but do you happen to have a timestamp for when this occurs? I understand if that's completely ridiculous, haha.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM

^^ Sorry for taking so long in responding, but no worries, everyone has their preferences and no big deal on a timestamp.

The one scene of blood and gory feeding is at around 32:30 to about 34 minutes. Hope that helps.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 04-10-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
^^ Sorry for taking so long in responding, but no worries, everyone has their preferences and no big deal on a timestamp.

The one scene of blood and gory feeding is at around 32:30 to about 34 minutes. Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot for the response! I might try to give it a shot if that scene is only a minute and a half or so. We will see. Thanks a lot!