'Shane' is coming August 13 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Staff

Default 'Shane' is coming August 13

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8957/shane.html

Last edited by Landy; 05-04-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM

Day one!! An absolute classic!!
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 03-26-2013, 11:39 AM

Word is that the Blu-ray has been cropped from its original 1.37:1 composition to 16:9.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 PM

I'm going to be so pissed if that happens. Why in the world would they blow up the image like that?

~ Pauline Kael
Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM

Ugh, one of my favorite western movies and books. :P
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM

Really enjoyed this film, but it's pretty funny just how many times they actually say, "Shane" in this thing. Shane doesn't do pronouns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piQu2TDvEA
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
I'm going to be so pissed if that happens. Why in the world would they blow up the image like that?
The alteration is already confirmed, though I was wrong about the exact ratio. It's actually going to be 1.66:1.

George Stevens, Jr., the director's son, made the decision.

Like On the Waterfront (which Criterion recently issued in multiple aspect ratios), Shane was originally released to theaters during the transition from Academy Ratio to widescreen. Apparently, some theaters in 1953 matted it down to wider ratios, including 1.66:1 and 1.85:1. The studio and Stevens, Jr. are using that as justification for the 1.66:1 transfer.

However, unlike On the Waterfront, George Stevens, Sr. did not compose Shane to be safe for wider framing. He only composed for 1.37:1. The Blu-ray has had to be reframed on a shot-by-shot basis to keep important picture information on screen. And the Blu-ray will only contain the one transfer, not several like Waterfront.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM

I'm calling bullshit on that one, and I can't believe Warner is allowing Stevens, Jr. to be part of that justification -- obviously based on his faulty memory of seeing the movie in theaters where they matted for a wider ratio.

I'm so sad to hear they're altering the original Academy frame that much. Doesn't matter if it's 1.85 or 1.66, the change is significant and will most likely look horrible.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I'm calling bullshit on that one, and I can't believe Warner is allowing Stevens, Jr. to be part of that justification -- obviously based on his faulty memory of seeing the movie in theaters where they matted for a wider ratio.

I'm so sad to hear they're altering the original Academy frame that much. Doesn't matter if it's 1.85 or 1.66, the change is significant and will most likely look horrible.
And will match that horrible disc cover, GROSS
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Here's a thread on another forum about the issue:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...lu-ray-in-166/

Apparently, when Shane was released, Paramount was desperate to compete with Cinemascope and mandated that every movie they released be widescreen. Shane was promoted as the first widescreen color Western, and won the cinematography Oscar that year.

So, I can see there being some justification for preserving the wider presentation (though this new transfer is totally reframed shot-by-shot, not the 1.66:1 crop that audiences at the time saw). However, the movie didn't go into production with widescreen planned. It was composed for Academy Ratio. The change was a last-minute marketing decision.

What Paramount should do is the same thing Criterion did with On the Waterfront, and offer it in multiple aspect ratios.