'Badlands' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Default 'Badlands' - High-Def Digest Review

Gordon has reviewed the Criterion release of Terrence Malick's
'Badlands.' This is highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8402/badlands.html
Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 AM

Did this image inspire George Lucas?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 AM

Looks like it Julian! Can't wait to watch this movie this weekend!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Criterion needs to stop doing animated cover art. I "get" what they're going for with this one, but it's still hideous.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Criterion needs to stop doing animated cover art. I "get" what they're going for with this one, but it's still hideous.
This one is pretty bad. I like some of them, though. Their On The Waterfront is nice.

Since I'm one of those weirdos that slips a Blu-ray disc into a discwallet and throws the packaging right in the trash unless I like it enough to display it on a shelf or something, I can live with the hit-and-miss artwork. Needless to say, the quasi-noir Badlands art is going the way of the coffee grounds.

Last edited by Bubdylan; 03-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 PM

Been excited for this for awhile... would you guys describe Badlands more accessible to a mainstream audience than say, Tree of Life? (Wondering if it's something to watch with the wifey).
Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubdylan View Post
This one is pretty bad. I like some of them, though. Their On The Waterfront is nice.

Since I'm one of those weirdos that slips a Blu-ray disc into a discwallet and throws the packaging right in the trash unless I like it enough to display it on a shelf or something, I can live with the hit-and-miss artwork. Needless to say, the quasi-noir Badlands art is going the way of the coffee grounds.
I did that for my DVD collection.

But with blu ray I keep them in the cases. I can understand doing what you do for regular blu rays but these Criterions are my treasured blu rays, they stay intact
Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 View Post
Been excited for this for awhile... would you guys describe Badlands more accessible to a mainstream audience than say, Tree of Life? (Wondering if it's something to watch with the wifey).
I would say Badlands is more accessible than Tree of Life by a long shot. But it's darker, too, so that's the trade-off, or would be the trade-off with most wives I know.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 View Post
Yes, though I don't know your wife's tastes