'Life of Pi - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Default 'Life of Pi - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'Life of Pi - 3D.' This is highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8158/life_pi_3d.html
Old 03-20-2013, 03:41 PM

GORGEOUS FILM!! Loved it. First half hour was a bit slow but after that...I was entranced with its visuals and story. With all due respect to 'Argo'.....THIS film is the best film for 2012..Oscar or not,imo.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
The 3D version of 'Life of Pi' is a testament to film artistry and the appropriate use of a controversial format. As Martin Scorsese proved with 'Hugo,' in the hands of an accomplished director, 3D can add magic and a breathtaking sense of in-your-face realism to movies that enhance both their sensory and emotional impact.
If only it were so. Years have gone by and I keep trying to give 3D its fair shake, in theatres, on disc, etc. And every time a new movie comes out that supposedly shows how the 3D effect can add to a film (Avatar, Hugo, Life of Pi, The Hobbit HFR), I try it and am disappointed. Yes, everything looks all 3-dimensional, the effect works, it's a technological marvel. Yes, this particular film, regardless of 3D, is stunning to behold and is a pretty good story to boot. But the 3D added about as much to the film as the popcorn.

Ultimately someone may figure out how to make 3D work to make a movie better, but, at least this time, it wasn't Ang Lee. I'm still waiting for that 3D breakout film.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Default Some video details missing

Why no mention in the review of the aspect ratios changing twice in the movie. Once during the flying fish scene to 2.35 and another underwater scene shot in the old academy ratio 4:3?

Not a huge deal but definitely different.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post
If only it were so. Years have gone by and I keep trying to give 3D its fair shake, in theatres, on disc, etc. And every time a new movie comes out that supposedly shows how the 3D effect can add to a film (Avatar, Hugo, Life of Pi, The Hobbit HFR), I try it and am disappointed. Yes, everything looks all 3-dimensional, the effect works, it's a technological marvel. Yes, this particular film, regardless of 3D, is stunning to behold and is a pretty good story to boot. But the 3D added about as much to the film as the popcorn.

Ultimately someone may figure out how to make 3D work to make a movie better, but, at least this time, it wasn't Ang Lee. I'm still waiting for that 3D breakout film.
Respect your opinion of 3d, but I will disagree. I'll give avatar as in example, I didn't watch it in theaters but once it became available on bluray I rented it. I watched it on hbo, then they released the Collectors edition which I bought, I watched all 3 cuts of the movie and behind-the-scenes extras. I'd have to say I was avatar'ed out, when the 3d version finally released to full retail I picked it up just because I haven't seen it in 3d. I wondered just what avatar+3d hoopla was about.

At this point I was still avatar'ed out, but I hadn't watched the movie in a while. For me avatar has the best 3d of all 3d movies I've seen. I was immersed like I was watching it for the first time, it shows you what a movie made from ground up for 3d can be. I felt the 3d made the world believable, you forget about technical this or that and just watch and enjoy the film.

Life of Pi starts slow, the 3d has little merit in the first phase of the movie. Once the film gets moving I felt the 3d added to the immersion and makes certain scenes even more magical. I saw it in 2d first and for me 3d adds to the experience which life of Pi is.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeyuke View Post
Why no mention in the review of the aspect ratios changing twice in the movie. Once during the flying fish scene to 2.35 and another underwater scene shot in the old academy ratio 4:3?

Actually I quite liked what he did with the flying fish scene, as far as the content leaving the movie frame. It reminded me of the way comics are often drawn with elements outside the frame. In fact, going back to the 3D thing for a second, I felt he may have accomplished in those scenes what he failed to do with the 3D in the rest of the film. Not a huge effect, but overall nice.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeyuke View Post

I thought that was strange, it's reverse Dark Knight 2.40:1 to 1.78:1 flipping. Even in the 2.40:1 scenes with black bars the 3d extended beyond the picture. I wonder the point but thought it was kinda cool, I like 3d that reminds you this movie is in 3d. Those flip flopping scenes reminds you this movie is 3d.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post
...every time a new movie comes out that supposedly shows how the 3D effect can add to a film...
... Yes, this particular film...is stunning to behold and is a pretty good story to boot. But the 3D added about as much to the film as the popcorn.
For me, 3D added to the film in the sense (literally: sense), that I was on
a boat with a tiger. It made me sense that flying fish were flying at me.
You can argue that flying fish was or was not a key scene and crucial to
the story. But the proximity of the tiger, the closeness of that constant
threat, that was an invaluable benefit of the 3D for Life of Pi.

Okay I'm with you that popcorn, no matter how good, does not improve/
add to a film. Life of Pi's 3D did improve/add to the film.

When you come from an extreme position that no 3D in any film ever has
been improved on with its 3D, perhaps you need to recalibrate your
expectations. It's not like the technology has been out for only 4 months;
it's been 4 years.

To me, you sound like someone 4 years after color TV was invented, still
claiming that color technology hasn't added to/improved a single TV
program, like 4th of July fireworks in color, New Year's Tournament of
Roses parade, etc. Yes, the fireworks looked amazing in color; and yes,
the parade floats were a spectacle of color, but nooo, color didn't add a
thing to them?!

Look I know that 3D isn't for everyone. Glasses is another negative.
But the position that 3D has yet to contribute to the storytelling for any
film ever; that's a far-fetched position.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
When you come from an extreme position that no 3D in any film ever has been improved on with its 3D, perhaps you need to recalibrate your expectations. It's not like the technology has been out for only 4 months; it's been 4 years.
I'm not coming from any position. I'm seeing a new technology, didn't think much of it the first time around, and am trying to give it another chance to prove itself in other films (which I think is fair, because I hated Avatar so much I feel I may not have judged it fairly). I certainly haven't seen every 3D film (of the current generation of 3D, I've only seen the ones listed above in 3D). I'm certainly willing to believe there are films that have been improved by 3D. I just haven't seen them yet, and this isn't one of them, in my opinion.

You're right about one thing. This generation of 3D is getting a little long in the tooth for me to keep giving it chances. I will stop at some point, unless some filmmaker manages to finally pull it off. Trust me, my expectations have gotten pretty low over these years, and at this point I'm about as easy to impress as I'm ever going to be. "Recalibration" at this point could only make things worse.

Quote:
To me, you sound like someone 4 years after color TV was invented, still
claiming that color technology hasn't added to/improved a single TV
program, like 4th of July fireworks in color, New Year's Tournament of
Roses parade, etc. Yes, the fireworks looked amazing in color; and yes,
the parade floats were a spectacle of color, but nooo, color didn't add a
thing to them?!
Apples and oranges and strawmen, oh my! Agree to disagree, but please keep it respectful. I liked this film a lot (and even the flying fish scene, which had great 2D out-of-frame effects), there's some common ground for you.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 AM

I just cannot get interested enough to watch this movie. One of my friends picked it up last week and wants me to watch it, but nothing I see or read about it can make me want to see it.