'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Default 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 3D.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8643...ourney_3d.html
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM

Great review. Can't wait to pick this one up on Friday and watch it that night!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM

"'The Hobbit' goes on a 3D adventure with this stunning 1080p/MVC MPEG-4 encode that pushes deep into the screen rather than outward with the usual gimmick effects."

You're joking right?? This has to be one of the more gimmicky 3d movies I've seen. Really disappointing that Peter Jackson didn't restrain himself.

Oh, and as far as the 2d review saying....
"Well, I'm happy to report that I noticed little to no difference whatsoever than if it were shot at the standard frame rate, although I must say the video does seem slightly smoother."

I'd beg to differ. Everything seems way too smooth, especially when there is any CGI on the screen (which is quite often). I also didn't care for the lack of grain.

And another thing, how is it that the CGI from the original trilogy is better than what's in this film? Did they just not have enough time to properly complete the effects, or is it a 48fps problem?

Pacing issues aside, I hope the second film is much more polished.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 AM

I was very disappointed with the 3D and am going to avoid 3D showings if I can due to how disappointing this was.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 AM

I thought the 3D was great. It wasn't "gimmicky" like some other 3D titles I've seen. I picked it up last night and can't wait to watch it. In the theater I watched the 3D 48FPS version. It will be nice to see the 24 FPS version. I did not like the 48FPS very much.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballenjr View Post
"'The Hobbit' goes on a 3D adventure with this stunning 1080p/MVC MPEG-4 encode that pushes deep into the screen rather than outward with the usual gimmick effects."

You're joking right?? This has to be one of the more gimmicky 3d movies I've seen. Really disappointing that Peter Jackson didn't restrain himself.

I haven't had the time to watch it yet, but I like the fact that I may have some 3d that reminds you haye this is 3d. I've seem plenty of 3d movies that are more subtle with its 3d effect to the point you may as well watch the 2d version. I figure if I'm paying a premium for 3d I want to see the 3d.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.M. View Post
I haven't had the time to watch it yet, but I like the fact that I may have some 3d that reminds you haye this is 3d. I've seem plenty of 3d movies that are more subtle with its 3d effect to the point you may as well watch the 2d version. I figure if I'm paying a premium for 3d I want to see the 3d.
Exactly. If I am going to wear the glasses, give me good reason to do so!

Having said that, I watched the 3d version last night and thought it was good, but not great and certainly nothing special. The 3d was definitely a bit on the conservative side which I find annoying and I would personally rather 3d be a bit overdone vs underdone. There are certainly better examples of 3d on blu ray and this wont be one people pull out to "demo" in light of the competition, especially if we throw the animated titles in the mix.

Edit: After checking out the 2d version it makes you appreciate the 3d more and while subtle much of the time is very effective. I definitely think this film works and looks best in 3d after checking out both.

4/5.

Audio was a huge disappointment from an LFE perspective and is the most disappointing mix as far as low end since the movie 2012 and Revenge of the Sith. I cant believe how weak it was and how many missed opportunities there were where you expected bass and it either did not happen or was very weak.
Spoiler
From the opening dragon scene, to the mountain troll scene, to the goblin town scene to the end battle, all of it was very underwhelming from an LFE perspective to the point that you are left scratching your head wondering what went wrong with this mix?

The rest of the mix was great, but the lacking LFE was so blatant that it was hard to appreciate the good aspects of the mix.

4/5

The movie was just as disappointing as when I watched it at the IMAX. Bloated, goofy, dull all come to mind and clearly on a much lower level vs ANY of the LOTR films which are all true works of art as far as movies go (not that they are perfect, but they are damn close for me). Wish I had just rented the disc as I feel confident that I will NEVER watch this film again! Seeing it once in the IMAX was disappointing, but watching it again last night was as bad if not worse. Are they really going to release an extended edition of this already bloated and overly long, dull bore fest?

3/5

Last edited by ToddS; 03-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 PM

I just finished watching the second 3D disc. It was much more enjoyable than when I saw it in the theater with the 48FPS 3D. I really enjoyed it the second time around. Although I probably won't watch it again until right before the next one comes out in the theater.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 AM

I found the 3D to be a nice mix - there was incredible depth to the picture, with an ocassional gimick, but it wasn't overdone. And anyone who says that there isn't depth to the picture should try turning on the subtitles. I find this is the number one way to really start appreciating how much depth is in any movie. Just turn the subtitles on for a minute or two, and then turn it back off. For that matter, just take off your glasses for a moment and see how much seperation there is in the images. The 3D is pretty aggressive in this film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
Audio was a huge disappointment from an LFE perspective and is the most disappointing mix as far as low end since the movie 2012 and Revenge of the Sith. I cant believe how weak it was and how many missed opportunities there were where you expected bass and it either did not happen or was very weak.
Spoiler
From the opening dragon scene, to the mountain troll scene, to the goblin town scene to the end battle, all of it was very underwhelming from an LFE perspective to the point that you are left scratching your head wondering what went wrong with this mix?

The rest of the mix was great, but the lacking LFE was so blatant that it was hard to appreciate the good aspects of the mix.
Were we watching the same film? I actually had to turn my sub down to keep from disturbing the neighbors! It wasn't as aggressive as the opening of Fellowship, but it certainly was aggressive. Now, I am only about 30 minutes into the film (it is really hard for me to sit and watch a movie in one sitting at home, I get distracted too easily), but I found this soundtrack to be extreamely immersive.

Both video and audio are a 5/5 for me. The movie was probably a 3.5 or 4/5. You know what, I will invent a new score - 3.75/5. My biggest issue is that it felt like I was watching an extended edition of the movie - some scenes were a bit too long, and while those scenes did stay true to what I remembered of the book, it tended to slow the movie down a bit in my opinion.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
I found the 3D to be a nice mix - there was incredible depth to the picture, with an ocassional gimick, but it wasn't overdone. And anyone who says that there isn't depth to the picture should try turning on the subtitles. I find this is the number one way to really start appreciating how much depth is in any movie. Just turn the subtitles on for a minute or two, and then turn it back off. For that matter, just take off your glasses for a moment and see how much seperation there is in the images. The 3D is pretty aggressive in this film.

Were we watching the same film? I actually had to turn my sub down to keep from disturbing the neighbors! It wasn't as aggressive as the opening of Fellowship, but it certainly was aggressive. Now, I am only about 30 minutes into the film (it is really hard for me to sit and watch a movie in one sitting at home, I get distracted too easily), but I found this soundtrack to be extreamely immersive.

Both video and audio are a 5/5 for me. The movie was probably a 3.5 or 4/5. You know what, I will invent a new score - 3.75/5. My biggest issue is that it felt like I was watching an extended edition of the movie - some scenes were a bit too long, and while those scenes did stay true to what I remembered of the book, it tended to slow the movie down a bit in my opinion.
Over on AVS and bluray.com lots of people have commented on the weak low end in The Hobbit mix. I run 4 SVS subs (3 PB13 Ultras and a 12/2 Ultra) in a small sealed room. I am flat down to about 50hz and run hot from about 45hz on down to where my subs run out of gas at ~13-14hz. I also use dual buttkickers attached to a mini riser which my couch sits on......point of all this being, if there is bass/LFE, I will experience it.

I watched this film at reference and the low end is flat out lacking in general, especially compared to the LOTR films and/or other 5 star LFE tracks. Aggressive is the last word I would use to describe this low end and is just the opposite, conservative (I would agree with you that the surround mix is aggressive, but certainly not the low end). Right from the opening scene with the dragon steps something feels strangely off as the low end does not hit like you would expect (I was expecting something similar to the Balrog steps in Fellowship, but not even close). The mountain troll scene which was the next big moment and fell flat. The rock giants scene was the next big one which was relatively weak (mammoth rock giants crashing into each other, crashing boulders together with thunder going off should have given us HOUSE shaking LFE impact). Goblin Town was next and was this movies "Moria" section and was very limp in the bass department. Finally the end battle which again was relatively limp in the low end.

The low end of this mix falls way short of the LOTR movies in general and is very unconvincing considering the on screen action IMO. The rest of the track is excellent, but when the foundation (LFE) is largely missing, it all feels a bit shallow. Put on the best scenes from FOTR (especially the Mines of Moria section!) and the best scenes from the Hobbit both at reference level........if you cant tell a clear difference in the LFE mixes between these two films, there is something wrong in all due respect.