'Willow: 25th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Default 'Willow: 25th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Willow: 25th Anniversary Edition.' This is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3912/willow.html
Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 PM

I've already ordered my copy since I haven't gotten around to any stores, but I'm really looking forward to seeing these deleted scenes, and I am very impressed with the quality of those stills. It's been a long time since I watched my DVD copy, but those stills look fantastic compared to my memory.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 PM

They couldn't get a commentary for this?! LAME

I'll buy when the price dips to about $9
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 PM

My copy arrives Wednesday. Looking forward to seeing more Val Kilmer back when he really tried (not as much as he did in Real Genius, but it's still good.)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 AM

The review should note that the Blu-ray is missing the commentary track and TV spots from the previous DVD edition. However, this is still an awesome release and I'm glad they finally gave us the deleted scenes (all but the Fishboy should've been left in IMO).
Old 03-19-2013, 01:37 AM

I never bought the dvd of this, but was pretty pleased with the BD. I hadn't seen it since the golden era of HBO. It holds up better than other 80s fantasy fare, I think.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Default The teaser led me to believe this was going to be a Tolkien film adaptation

As a kid, my friend and I (both avid Tolkien fans) would fantasize how good "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" would be if the right filmmaker got a hold of the material. After seeing the teaser for this, I was convinced Lucas had done it.

Last edited by scubasteve; 03-19-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
The review should note that the Blu-ray is missing the commentary track and TV spots from the previous DVD edition. However, this is still an awesome release and I'm glad they finally gave us the deleted scenes (all but the Fishboy should've been left in IMO).
Weird, why would they leave out the commentary?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Dang it, it just lost my entire comment! Grrr!

So, I will admit that I am a fan of the movie, so I may be a little biased. I owned the previous DVD, and have the movie on VHS and laserdisc. While I was hoping for a decent transfer, I was only expecting about a 3 to 3.5 on video based on the aging special effects and how they looked on the DVD.

I was blown away visually - in fact, I would go as far as to call it demo material. The print is in pristine condition, details pop, the matte paintings look amazing, the location shots are some of the finiest ever seen on the format. It also looks like they may have recomposited many of the special effects to clean up blue-screen issues that were present in previous releases. The movie looks amazing, and, like I said, I may be biased, but I think the movie visually is a 4.5 - boardering on a 5 star release. This seems to be consistant with scores I am seeing at other review sites.

The audio is also simply amazing. Should I have expected anything less from LucasFilms? It's agressive and immersive, and is probably one of the best sounding soundtracks I have heard on Blu-Ray in a LONG time. Few movies have a sound field and sound range like this, and it really benefits from the lossless audio. I just can't believe the soundtrack on this movie is 25 years old! Completely agree with the reviewer's take on the audio and his scoring!

In the extras, it should be noted (this was in the review, but I have a feelign that many may have glanced over this) is that the deleted scenes are in FREAKIN HD!!!! HELL YEAH! The deleted scenes look every bit as good as the rest of the movie, which you just never see on catalogue releases.

The EPKs are in 1080i/60, but it should be noted that these are just HD intros, followed by upconverted SD documentaries.

The disc is amazing, its demo material, and the fact that its under $20, its a great buy! Highly recommend.

So, from the HDD review:

Quote:
The original photography of Adrian Biddle doesn't really lend itself in spectacular fashion to the high-def format, but the 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode is admirable nonetheless and faithful to the source. The majority of the movie falls on the softer side of things with the special-effects sequences looking the worst
From a competitor website review:

Quote:
In a word, the picture is gorgeous, especially if you've grown accustomed to the now-ancient DVD. To start, there's not a scratch, speck, stain, or hair on this print —it's immaculate. The only evidence of age is some slight, barely perceivable brightness fluctuation in certain scenes, but you'd have to go out of your way to look for it. And while it does appear that there is some measure of noise reduction in a few scenes, grain is still readily apparent in the image, and there's none of that ugly DNR smearing that accompanies the most careless restorations. Quite the contrary. Willow seems to have been treated with kid gloves. No edge enhancement. No compression issues. No artificial-looking contrast or saturation boosting. The image is natural, filmic, and—on top of that—often wickedly sharp in high definition for a kids' movie from the mid-1980s
The two reviews are so different from each other, it makes me wonder if the reviewers watched the same movie. Normally, I back up the HDD guys, but in this case....

You are right on with the audio review.

I'm not going to beat up the reviewer on the video score - I just don't agree with it, and hope no one doesn't pass up this incredible release because of the score given on this disc.

Last edited by gravis778; 03-19-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
and I'm glad they finally gave us the deleted scenes (all but the Fishboy should've been left in IMO).
Agreed. I loved the backstory on Sorcia's father, and it was only like, what, an extra 30 - 45 seconds?