The Greatest Story Ever Told-disappointing blu ray. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Default The Greatest Story Ever Told-disappointing blu ray.

For some reason, this epic film seems to have two horrible transfers to disc. The DVD was atrocious, it reminded me of one of those Chinese DVDs of questionable legality, even though my DVD purchase was at a Target store. I assumed that the transfer suffered from trying to fit the entire 3 hour movie on a single DVD.

I anticipated the blu ray release and I'm also quite disappointed. I'm not an expert at all in blu ray transfers, but this blu ray is certainly one of the worst I've seen.

1. The film takes up maybe half of the screen. For an epic movie, I want to see all of the scenery. Is there a reason for this? Was some experimental filming technique used when the movie was made and it isn't possible to recreate the film in a way that will use the entire screen?

2. The picture seems very grainy and I can see lots of flickering. Are the original masters of this film damaged or was not enough care used in this transfer?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
1. The film takes up maybe half of the screen. For an epic movie, I want to see all of the scenery. Is there a reason for this? Was some experimental filming technique used when the movie was made and it isn't possible to recreate the film in a way that will use the entire screen?
For better or worse, you are seeing all the scenery.

'The Greatest Story Ever Told' was produced in Ultra Panavision 70, a short-lived large-gauge film format. Ultra Panavision used 65/70mm stock coupled with anamorphic lenses to produce a mega-widescreen image at ~2.76:1.

The large black bars on the blu-ray preserve the original aspect ratio within the smaller 1.78:1 frame used with blu-ray/HDTV. It's the same principle as watching something in 2.35:1 widescreen on a 1.78:1 screen. Obviously, 2.76:1 Ultra Panavision is even wider, thus the bars on the top and bottom of the frame are bigger.

Quote:
2. The picture seems very grainy and I can see lots of flickering...
This is another issue entirely.

Many films produced in Ultra Panavision (or similar formats) look stunning on blu-ray. 'Ben Hur', an MGM film now released by Warner Brothers, and even MGM's own 'It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World' are both gorgeous discs. But they're sourced from fairly recent, extensive and expensive restorations/remasters.

Quote:
...Are the original masters of this film damaged or was not enough care used in this transfer?
For whatever reason, MGM didn't restore/remaster 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' for blu-ray (it was a bomb, so, probably, that reason specifically).

Instead, they used an older master (produced around 2000 for the DVD, and ported over to the blu-ray), which is cobbled together from a variety of sources in various states of disrepair. As a result, some of the film looks decent. Most of it looks absolutely atrocious.

'The Greatest Story Ever Told' is a shockingly inconsistent, often downright awful, disc. On top of its other issues, the blu-ray is riddled with ugly noise (not grain).
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Thanks, Super-VHS, for that assessment and explanation. Very interesting. I saw The Greatest Story Ever Told Blu-ray at Costco the other day and almost picked it up. Very glad now that I didn't and I won't in the future. Thanks again!