Brother Bear - Is it supposed to be surrounded by a black box? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 AM

Default Brother Bear - Is it supposed to be surrounded by a black box?

I've seen it on DVD, but I don't remember the black box being around the video. Not letterbox, but the whole video is boxed in. It's a bit distracting. At first I thought it was a stylistic choice (and would change on the transformation scene, but that didn't happen), but I'm wondering if it isn't a mistake or something as it's 23 minutes in, and the box is still present.

I don't think it's the player. The menu and I believe the trailer that popped up before wasn't boxed in, so what gives?

EDIT: Lol, literally a minute later, it goes widescreen. So yeah, a stylistic choice (Representing 'Wider world view'/'another point of view' I guess), but one that lasts about 1/4 of the whole movie and personally, I think it would have been more dramatic if it happened right when the transformation did, but eh.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 AM

As it played theatrically, the movie starts at 1.85:1 ratio and then expands to 2.35:1 later. As I recall, the DVD offered the movie in two versions: one in Constant Image Height (the beginning is windowboxed with bars on all four sides, to replicate the theatrical effect) and one called the "Family Friendly" version where the entire movie was reformatted to 1.66:1 with small pillarbox bars on the sides.

Does the Blu-ray only have one version?
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Just the one version. It started out boxes in, and then it expanded out about 25 minutes in.

Probably because the BD has two movies on it (Brother Bear 1 and 2 are on the same disk), though there are separate disks for the DVD versions, the Brother Bear DVD might offer both formats.

And this is the second time I wrote this, the forums ate up my initial reply >_>
Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM

The Blu-ray for Enchanted does the same thing, though the intro scenes are much shorter.

Admittedly, the effect only truly works if you have a 2.35:1 screen.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.