'This Is 40' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Default 'This Is 40' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'This Is 40.' Even if you don't quite fit the target age range, he says you'll find this slightly raunchy domestic comedy amusing, relatable, and definitely worth a look. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8503/this_40.html
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM

Absolutely loathed this movie. In my opinion, it was Apatow's most indulgent movie yet (and that's saying something). The movie is beyond bloated (i.e - all the needless subplots/characters that add NOTHING), structureless, and frankly very unpleasant.

Last edited by HiRez; 03-15-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Saw this last month. Too ugly and too cynical for my taste.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:02 PM

I dread Apatow movies now. They feel like chores.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
I dread Apatow movies now. They feel like chores.
I'm sure he has a big ego, but does he really believe 134 minutes is an appropriate running time for a comedy? And there's 35+ minutes of deleted scenes, meaning a rough cut probably ran in the 3 hour range. That's insane! The movie held my interest (mainly because I often felt like I was watching episodes ripped straight from my own life), but it certainly is a disjointed jumble.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 PM

Your review made me think, "Maybe I should see it after all." But I just can't do it. I used to enjoy his stuff, but I just can't deal with his non-humor and family and dick jokes anymore.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM

FWIW, I actually liked 'This is 40'. It has its problems and feels like it could lose at least 20 minutes, but there's some greatness in there too (like Albert Brooks). I also like how it just meanders along. Plus, it gets a lot of the hidden tension of marriage exactly spot on.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Your review made me think, "Maybe I should see it after all." But I just can't do it. I used to enjoy his stuff, but I just can't deal with his non-humor and family and dick jokes anymore.
You don't even get the dick jokes in this one. Just 2 1/2 hours of people aruging, often about money while they live in a beautiful house, drive bmws, and own every conceivable Apple product. Even the kids.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
You don't even get the dick jokes in this one. Just 2 1/2 hours of people aruging, often about money while they live in a beautiful house, drive bmws, and own every conceivable Apple product. Even the kids.
That's the point though, right? There are tons of people that live beyond their means in real life. Who have horrible money problems but act like they're well off by buying every toy they can. It'd be a problem if the movie never acknowledged money troubles, but it does.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
That's the point though, right? There are tons of people that live beyond their means in real life. Who have horrible money problems but act like they're well off by buying every toy they can. It'd be a problem if the movie never acknowledged money troubles, but it does.
I get it, I do. I just didn't need to pay $12.50 to see something that I can see for free every day. Admittedly i'm not married, but I've been around enough married couples to know the movie is poignant at times. But I call bullshit on a lot of it too. Just found the main characters self-absorbed and all-around unpleasant. Personally found it a chore to sit through...