'A Good Day to Die Hard' is up for pre-order - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 AM

Default 'A Good Day to Die Hard' is up for pre-order

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8892..._die_hard.html
Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Day one for me. I don't see what all the hate was about. What do you exact at this point? It was a big dumb action movie that was a blast to watch. And they had cursing this time around!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Day one for me. I don't see what all the hate was about. What do you exact at this point? It was a big dumb action movie that was a blast to watch. And they had cursing this time around!
The thing is, you'd never use the words "big" or "dumb" to describe the original Die Hard.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM

Indeed you would not, but the original Die Hard is the original Die Hard. It is what I consider to be the greatest action movie ever made. It stands as one of maybe 3-4 movies I could watch, and then watch again the next night. I tell anyone who asks if you only ever see one action movie in your life, it should be Die Hard. Again what do you expect at this point? I don't expect that level of perfection, it's unrealistic and ultimately not possible. What I do expect is to see Bruce Willis kicking ass, 80's style, and thats what I got.

As of Live Free or Die Hard, whether conscious or not, Willis turned McClane into a caricature. In the original Die Hard, and it's 1st two sequels for the most part, you were afraid for McClane, he was a man who could be shot, be forced to run through broken glass barefoot. In the original he looked afraid for himself, and not at all confident he could win. By Live Free or Die Hard, McClane is the Terminator, a fearless badass who kicks into high gear at a split seconds notice, ready to take on an invading army single handedly and fully expect to pull it off. I tend to think Willis did that on purpose to kind of divorce the new movies from the old. Either way I find it entertaining in it's own way.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM

I'll buy a copy just to urinate on it.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Only way I'm buying this is if there's a bonus feature that has Bruce Willis personally apologizing for this piece of shit.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
As of Live Free or Die Hard, whether conscious or not, Willis turned McClane into a caricature. In the original Die Hard, and it's 1st two sequels for the most part, you were afraid for McClane, he was a man who could be shot, be forced to run through broken glass barefoot. In the original he looked afraid for himself, and not at all confident he could win. By Live Free or Die Hard, McClane is the Terminator, a fearless badass who kicks into high gear at a split seconds notice, ready to take on an invading army single handedly and fully expect to pull it off.
And in this one, he's a pointless sidekick just along for the ride, a spectator in his own movie. All he does is get in the way over and over again. Everything would have worked out better without him there.

He also turns into a stereotypical Ugly American obnoxious tourist, yelling at the locals for speaking their native language in their own country and just generally behaving like an ass the whole time.

This movie is a flat-out disgrace. It shouldn't exist.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Indeed you would not, but the original Die Hard is the original Die Hard. It is what I consider to be the greatest action movie ever made. It stands as one of maybe 3-4 movies I could watch, and then watch again the next night. I tell anyone who asks if you only ever see one action movie in your life, it should be Die Hard. Again what do you expect at this point? I don't expect that level of perfection, it's unrealistic and ultimately not possible. What I do expect is to see Bruce Willis kicking ass, 80's style, and thats what I got.
I'm a fan of Bruce Willis kicking ass as much as anyone, but here is my issue: You are right, Die Hard is Die Hard, and that can't be touched. The problem is, the sequels followed a forumla established by the first movie in an attempt to capture it's magic. It's the Average Joe (off duty, btw) who gets caught up stopping an elaborate heist that is disguised as something else.

When following a formula, you either do it just as good, better, or worse. Then if you make a film that seems out of character for the series, it then stands out like a sore thumb.

Personally, I think the best a series of sequles has been handled is the Alien franchise (not counting AvP 1 & 2). What was done is four very different films focusing on different themes, done by artistically different directors.

Alien - horror movie of what lurks in the dark - Scott (artistically crafted sci-fi worlds)

Aliens - action movie, man versus beasts - Camerson (epic scopes, very polished sci-fi)

Alien 3 - the darkness of man/man & faith - Fincher (dark, personal, disturbing)

Alien Resurrection - the line between man & beast - Jeunet (dream like sci-fi)

Now, some of these are better than others, but each has it's own value (in my opinion) because they took the same universe, same protagonist, and same creature, and created something that added to the cannon. Each film offered something different. It is, I think, because of this that there ARE such strong opinions about which in the series is better.

Die Hard, which I love, looks to be turning into a formulaic franchise like Saw or Fast & Furious.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 PM

Most unpleasant trip I've taken to the movies in years.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Personally, I think the best a series of sequles has been handled is the Alien franchise (not counting AvP 1 & 2). What was done is four very different films focusing on different themes, done by artistically different directors.
The Mission: Impossible franchise does something similar. Each movie is very much its director's own. The first three have very little to do with one another (though the fourth is tied more closely to the third than any of the others had been).