'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Default 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.' See what he has to say about this highly anticipated Blu-ray!

Full review here:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Last edited by eNoize; 03-14-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Link no worky.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8626...t_journey.html
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM

It should be noted that there will be an extended addition released before the second entry. I would bet that there will be more of an exhaustive list of extras too. Although, I for one would be in favor of an edited down version of the film, rather then more scenes being added.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM

With the branching technology of BRD, there is NO justification for the blatant double dipping going on here. Pass.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM

At least there are no colour timing issues with this one. Furthermore, the same shot from the FOTR EE disc (approaching Bilbo at his desk from behind ) is shown with "proper" colour timing here, which proves that the FOTR EE disc had issues - or at least, that Jackson changed his mind and "fixed" the colour for the same shot in The Hobbit.

Judging from past history though, I'll wait for the EE trilogy before investing any money into this. Maybe by then there will be a HFR version and Atmos will have made its way onto the discs too.

Last edited by pedram; 03-14-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
With the branching technology of BRD, there is NO justification for the blatant double dipping going on here. Pass.
As much as it cost to make this movie their going to milk every last penny out of it, and people will buy it. I'm for sure getting this next Tuesday, but I won't get the extended cut unless its a whole box set.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan007 View Post
It should be noted that there will be an extended addition released before the second entry. I would bet that there will be more of an exhaustive list of extras too. Although, I for one would be in favor of an edited down version of the film, rather then more scenes being added.
Same here, I thought the theatrical version's way too long. That dinner scene alone could've use some editing, I know he wants to milk the book to death but man I got bored with that scene fast. I remember I didn't quite enjoy the first few chapters from the book but loved every seconds of it once they got into the forest and anything after that. Hopefully the last two films will be as exciting as the book.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM

A 3/5 stars? Seriously? This movie is at bare minimum a 4. You are rating it on the same scale as Wrong Turn 2, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Jackass 3, The Cable Guy, Rush Hour, and most importantly, Mega Shark vs Mega Octopus. MEGA SHARK VS MEGA OCTOPUS!!!

What is wrong with you?

Anyway, I'll hold out for the EE since this movie was not long enough.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
A 3/5 stars? Seriously? This movie is at bare minimum a 4. You are rating it on the same scale as Wrong Turn 2, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Jackass 3, The Cable Guy, Rush Hour, and most importantly, Mega Shark vs Mega Octopus. MEGA SHARK VS MEGA OCTOPUS!!!

What is wrong with you?

Anyway, I'll hold out for the EE since this movie was not long enough.
Again, star ratings for movies aren't lateral in comparison. Especially when mixing genres. You can't really compare 'Hobbit' to the movies you listed above, but you can compare it to the past 'LoTR' series. That's the 'Hobbit's measuring stick.

Twitter: @AaronPeck