'One Night with the King' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Default 'One Night with the King' - High-Def Digest Review

Bryan has reviewed 'One Night with the King.' Check it out. Sorry, it's not about Elvis.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8558...ight_king.html
Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

One Night With The King Blu-ray (brief review)

** The USA Blu-ray version has an exclusive new 2012 audio commentary track **

The 2006 faith based movie called One Night With The King had an estimated budget of around 20 million dollars, which is a somewhat high budget for Christian movie producers. This movies target audience is mainly for people that are into Judaism and the Christian religion. This is a historical movie about Esther and the history of the Jewish people. This Judaism/Christian movie is one of my favorites since it was very well done.

This One Night With The King USA Blu-ray version is the longest version every released. Total running time is 2 hours and 2 minutes and 33 seconds. The France version of One Night With The King on Blu-ray is 1 hour and 57 minutes and 30 seconds, the German Blu-ray version is 1 hour and 57 minutes and 32 seconds. The USA DVD version is 2 hours and 2 minutes and 27 seconds. Both the German and France version of One Night With The King on Blu-ray are approximately 5 minutes shorter in length compared to the USA PG version on Blu-ray.

Video comments

I was hoping for a dual layer 50GB Blu-ray disc with a high bit rate MPEG-4/AVC transfer for One Night With The King for the USA release. Some other 20th Century Fox titles use around 48GB of total space on the Blu-ray disc for the movie itself with no extras. However instead One Night With The King was placed on a lower cost 25GB single layer disc with an average MPEG-4/AVC bit rate of only 19.5MBPS. A total of 22.1GB is used out of 25GB on the single layer Blu-ray disc. Many other movies have average MPEG-4/AVC bit rates in the high to low 30MBPS range.

The good news is this One Night With The King Blu-ray USA version looks better compared to any other DVD or Blu-ray version released. The 480i dual layer MPEG-2 DVD looks terrible compared to the Blu-ray. Also both the German and France version of One Night With The King on Blu-ray were only 1080i at 50Hz. The new American Blu-ray version is true 1080P quality and it appears to have been transferred from a new 20th Century Fox 4K master scan of the original film negative. In 1080P One Night With The King has excellent facial detail. The color quality is beautiful and the night scenes have deep blacks with excellent shadow detail. The film contrast ratio had natural depth that at times made the 2-D movie have a 3-D look. At times some scenes appear a little soft and I wish the movie would have received a higher bit rate encode using a dual layer disc instead of a single layer disc. The USA Blu-ray disc is encoded with both English and Spanish subtitle options.

Audio comments

The English 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio is bit for bit the same quality as the original studio master. While most the movie has front speaker action the rear speakers added depth to the movie during some scenes. The USA, German, and France Blu-ray versions all sound exactly the same. In theory they all should sound identical since lossless audio tracks are bit for bit the same as the original 5.1 PCM studio master. Once the Blu-ray player or A/V receiver unzips the 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio lossless audio track it becomes the 5.1 PCM studio master audio track. The main reason DTS-HD Master audio is used instead of PCM is that lossless audio tracks take up less physical space on the Blu-ray disc compared to PCM audio files. This is the best this movie has every sounded. The lossless sound quality of the USA Blu-ray is a major improvement compared to the USA lossy DVD version which uses 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Extra Features

Only the German One Night With The King Blu-ray has 3 exclusive 1080i 50Hz HD extra features that use the MPEG-2 codec. The Interview, Music Video, and Trailer are not available on the USA Blu-ray or USA DVD versions of One Night With The King. The only extra featrues on the American Blu-ray version are a few brief 1080P movie trailers that play when the Blu-ray disc is inserted and the audio commentary track.

I was very surprised that the USA One Night With The King has an exclusive audio commentary track: There has never been an audio commentary track for this movie before. The audio commentary track is Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo and was recorded in 2012 especially for the USA Blu-ray version. The audio commentary track features Matthew Crouch, Richard Cook, and Stephan Blinn. I am big fan of audio commentary tracks and this one was very enjoyable to listen to while watching the movie. Some commentary tracks are boring, however this commentary track had many interesting film facts about this and other TBN movies. The excellent audio commentary track is a good reason to upgrade ones 480i DVD to a 1080P Blu-ray version of One Night With The King.

Conclusion

One Night With The King is an interesting movie based on the historical Old Testament Esther and the Jewish people. The movie was filmed in India. A Christian film crew made a Jewish movie. Many of the extra’s in the movie were Hindu and Muslim according to the audio commentary track. One Night With The King looks and sounds the best on Blu-ray. This is the second TBN movie released on Blu-ray. The first TBN movie released on Blu-ray was Preacher's Kid. In the future I would like to see other TBN films released on Blu-ray like China Cry, The Omega Code, Megiddo:The Omega Code 2, Carman The Champion, The Secrets Of Jonathan Sperry, Time Changer, Six The Mark Unleashed, and The Cross.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 AM

I clicked on this link hoping it was maybe a review of a biopic about Shelly Fabares and her one-night stand with Elvis starring Shelley Long in one of her brilliant career moves after she left "Cheers."

It wasn't.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM

HDTV1080P: Thanks for the great review. As I stated in a previous thread..."'One Night with the King' is just a fantastic movie our entire family enjoys. Action, romance, faith tied up in a nice period piece. And where else can you see Lord Denethor and Gimli team up against Baltar?!?!?! Would purchase this in a heartbeat on Bluray." Now's my chance!