A blind buy movie that's now your favorite movie - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 AM

Default A blind buy movie that's now your favorite movie

I have had a few of these but one I'm gonna talk about is Moulin Rouge. I had just bought a DVD player (when they first came out) and i wanted a 2nd movie. So at Walmart I bought the movie Moulin Rouge as a blind buy because of how the box was (i have the 2 disc DVD). I had never seen or heard of them movie. But after that first time watching I fell in love with the movie.

So what movie was a blind buy that ended up being a favorite of yours?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Very tough topic to answer - I won't quite call it a "favorite" but I was quite impressed with Pathfinder. The story was not any bit as described.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 PM

I blind-bought Cabin in the Woods, and I was very pleased with that. I don't think I've ever regretted a blind buy.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 AM

I don't recall what DVD blind buy's I've bought, but in the past year have bought a few blind buys. Below are the ones I can recall off the top of my head, if I saw them, and how much I enjoyed them:
  • The Twelve Chairs - Mel Brooks Collection (haven't seen it)
  • Silent Movie - Mel Brooks Collection (haven't seen it)
  • To Be Or Not To Be - Mel Brooks Collection (haven't seen it)
  • Cobra - LOVED it, it's now up there as one of my favorite example of 80's gritty cheese.
  • Tango and Cash - Enjoyed it, could rewatch it for the actors, but the movie itself was average.
  • The Magnificent Seven (haven't seen it)
  • Operation Condor 2:The Armour of God - For me, Jacie Chan movies are either awesome, good, or meh. This was "good".
  • Godzilla (Criterion) (haven't seen it, and bought it upon release)
  • Vanishing Point (haven't seen it)
  • Sanjuro (Criterion) (haven't seen it)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM

As Krawk stated, hard to answer and would not call these my favorites. But they were great blind buys (for me):

'The Paperboy' - Never thought I would EVER say this but Zack Effron really impressed me in this one.

'Killer Joe' - Matthew Mcconahey was AWESOME in this.

'Harsh Times' - Great flick. Really surprised me how good it was. Bale was incredible, as usual.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordashebasics View Post
I blind-bought Cabin in the Woods, and I was very pleased with that. I don't think I've ever regretted a blind buy.
I have,lol. 'Red Dawn' (2012) was the worst blind buy I have made in some time.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM

taygan - McConahey has been making some very interesting role choices lately, and I'm digging it. It's a nice change from his Fools Gold/Sahara days. I saw him in Bernie, then Killer Joe, then The Paperboy. While Bernie IMO was the only one I'd call a good movie, I was entertained by all three. Much of it had to do with McConahey. If another new movie of his hit blu-ray (that wasn't a generic romantic comedy) I can see blind buying it given his recent track record.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM

No blind buys have ever become my absolute favorite, but here are some that I liked the best:
Let the Right One In
The Fall
Moon

but looking through my list of Blus, I still have around 200 that I haven't seen, so that list is sure to grow.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM

In Bruges. Based soley on my friends assurance I would love it, I ordered the UK Blu Ray, and I thoroughly love that movie!

There are more I'm sure but thats it off the top of my head.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 AM

The Thing. I bought it on HD-DVD the day it came out with never seeing it before and instantly fell in love with it to the point that I got the BD the day it came out.

Casablanca - I love The Maltese Falcon, so I picked this up on BD and thought it was great.

Other movies I never saw before I got on BD, but were gifts are and are excellent include Scarface, Lawrence of Arabia, and The Green Mile.