'Santa Claus Conquers the Martians' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM

Default 'Santa Claus Conquers the Martians' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.' The movie is as bad as it sounds. Read his review for all the details.

Full revies here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7388..._martians.html
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM

I'm surprised it managed to get a whole star for the movie itself.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

What I find funny is it is Region A locked! They could have increased their sales .02% if they set it to ABC.

Poor Aaron - always get the FUN movies, lol! Maybe the MST3K soundtrack can be downloaded on a PC and sync'd up.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 AM

Default A Christmas Classic!

Sorry, but this is a cult movie and as such has plenty of fans out there. Why don't you get someone who appreciates these kind of movies to review them rather than someone who obviously has no sense of camp fun whatsoever - and contrary to the reviewers ideas there are kots of families out there who have twisted senses of humour and I know plenty of people who enjoy wheeling this one out annually for an airing when the season comes around. Of course it's not a good film, it never pretends to be, but it certainly is a fun film and is far more enjoyable than many contrived big budget studio seasonal efforts. As for the print itself, while by general standards it may be pretty poor, it is still a vast improvement on all previous releases - and as the screen grabs on the page show it certainly isn't all that bad.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbearuk View Post
Sorry, but this is a cult movie and as such has plenty of fans out there. Why don't you get someone who appreciates these kind of movies to review them rather than someone who obviously has no sense of camp fun whatsoever - and contrary to the reviewers ideas there are kots of families out there who have twisted senses of humour and I know plenty of people who enjoy wheeling this one out annually for an airing when the season comes around. Of course it's not a good film, it never pretends to be, but it certainly is a fun film and is far more enjoyable than many contrived big budget studio seasonal efforts. As for the print itself, while by general standards it may be pretty poor, it is still a vast improvement on all previous releases - and as the screen grabs on the page show it certainly isn't all that bad.
Well put! I agree completely!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 AM

OMFG, I can't believe this movie wasn't a fever dream I had in highschool! It's all coming back to me, my dumb buddy and I stayed up till 6 am watching this piece of crap laughing histerically and under a few influences. I know what I'm getting him for his birthday now!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
As for the print itself, while by general standards it may be pretty poor, it is still a vast improvement on all previous releases - and as the screen grabs on the page show it certainly isn't all that bad.
The screengrabs should be taken with a grain of salt. While they are ripped from the Blu-ray they are resized and don't accurately portray what the movie looks like while in motion.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 AM

What next? A non-MST3K'd version of the Santa Clause movie where he fights Satan...I mean, Pip? No riffing = no watching.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but this is a cult movie and as such has plenty of fans out there. Why don't you get someone who appreciates these kind of movies to review them rather than someone who obviously has no sense of camp fun whatsoever - and contrary to the reviewers ideas there are kots of families out there who have twisted senses of humour and I know plenty of people who enjoy wheeling this one out annually for an airing when the season comes around. <b>Of course it's not a good film, it never pretends to be</b>, but it certainly is a fun film and is far more enjoyable than many contrived big budget studio seasonal efforts. As for the print itself, while by general standards it may be pretty poor, it is still a vast improvement on all previous releases - and as the screen grabs on the page show it certainly isn't all that bad.
I think you answered your own question. Just because a movie has a cult following doesn't make it good, and that should be reflected in the review and scoring.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM

There is plenty of good reason to watch this without MST3K, like having your own commentary with friends. There's a lot of fun in watching bad movies, though I agree that watching it alone probably isn't the best experience.

Having the MST3K stuff would be nice, but you couldn't simply use the audio from it. There's often gags involving the motions of their silhouettes, and references to things that happened back on the ship during intermissions. This would also be a more expensive release and require additional rights, etc.

Since MST3K was mastered on standard def video, I doubt we will ever see anything on Blu-ray, except for perhaps the theatrical film, which is actually shorter than an episode.