'The Intouchables' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM

Default 'The Intouchables' - High-Def Digest Review

Bryan has reviewed 'The Intouchables.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8054/intouchables.html
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Nice review! This really was an excellent movie. So many great, great scenes, and some incredibly natural dialogue and banter between both main characters. Saw this movie twice, and loved it both times.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:32 AM

My favorite film that I saw in 2012, with 2 absolutely joyous scenes. A real starmaking turn by the charismatic Omar Sy.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkndkn View Post
A real starmaking turn by the charismatic Omar Sy.
I wonder ... will Hollywood discover and use him? You may have seen the hilarious "Funny Ou Die" sketch with Jean Dujardin, in which he tries out for roles in different upcoming movies. The sad thing they point out, though, is that these foreign actors always wind up with villain parts. Now slightly inverted with Christoph Waltz, who played a hero-esque type character in Django Unchained (but, for all intents and purposes, still kills a lot of people).

Anyway, Sy should start getting offers soon - even without Academy attention.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM

There'll be a remake? Jeez. Well, guess I shouldn't be surprised. Seems kinda dumb, but the power of y'all 'murrcans who refuse to read subs is big, I guess...
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Default Mind the Insulting Mis-translations

Just watched this on VOD with my wife who is French so I was privy to two glaring translation....I don't know if I should call them "errors" when they were clearly done on purpose.

First one was at Phillipe's birthday when Magalie tells Driss that he looks like Barack Obama. Driss then turns to the guy next to him and says "That would be like her comparing you to George Bush or Nixon". Except that's not what he said at all. Instead of Bush or Nixon, he actually used the names of two former French leaders (I didn't catch the names).

The second time was when they were talking about art and Driss' painting. Instead of a reference to Michelangelo the artist mentioned was Goya who was a French artist.

Frankly, I was insulted that the people in charge of the translation felt that they had to change it to suit an American audience, like we'd be so stupid we wouldn't know, even from context, that Goya was a painter or that we wouldn't appreciate the humor if they had correctly translated the names of the French leaders.

I love this movie, and I want it in my collection, but I think I'll see if any foreign copies offer a more accurate translation.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:04 AM

I loved this movie too and just one slight correction to Kiamat: Goya was in fact Spanish.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiamat View Post
Just watched this on VOD with my wife who is French so I was privy to two glaring translation....I don't know if I should call them "errors" when they were clearly done on purpose.

First one was at Phillipe's birthday when Magalie tells Driss that he looks like Barack Obama. Driss then turns to the guy next to him and says "That would be like her comparing you to George Bush or Nixon". Except that's not what he said at all. Instead of Bush or Nixon, he actually used the names of two former French leaders (I didn't catch the names).

The second time was when they were talking about art and Driss' painting. Instead of a reference to Michelangelo the artist mentioned was Goya who was a French artist.

Frankly, I was insulted that the people in charge of the translation felt that they had to change it to suit an American audience, like we'd be so stupid we wouldn't know, even from context, that Goya was a painter or that we wouldn't appreciate the humor if they had correctly translated the names of the French leaders.
I love this movie, and I want it in my collection, but I think I'll see if any foreign copies offer a more accurate translation.
I would be insulted as well, that is TERRIBLE
Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 AM

Enjoyable film. The PQ was absolutely stunning. How is it only 4 stars? I'm curious as to why it was marked down.