'The Master' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM

Default 'The Master' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven Cohen has reviewed Paul Thomas Anderson's 'The Master'. Although this was one of 2012's most intriguing and potentially divisive films, he recommends it. Here's why...
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7788/the_master.html
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 AM

I found the Master to be an extremely boring movie. I loved it but found myself bored through much of it and have absolutely no desire to see it again. I am a big fan of PTA and have 4 years of art school video and film courses behind me that gave me a background of what artistic film can be (and how the experience while watching it is the means to the art itself, not the entertainment factor). I relate many of my opinions on this movie to the films I was introduced to while in art school. I can appreciate THE MASTER, which is a splendid film with amazing acting and production value but found the experience to be far short of fun entertainment. While I have my own favorite films that most people find boring, this is what I found The Master to be.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalidrama View Post
I loved it but found myself bored through much of it
How does that work?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM

I loved it. I'm a big PT fan and even thought this doesn't compare to TWBB and Nights, it's up there with Punch Drunk Love. Joaquin is amazing to watch, AMAZING.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM

I'm amazed that PT Anderson can keep making lousy films like this one and get 4.5 star ratings! Boogie Nights was very good but Magnolia might be the worst, most self indulgent film ever made. The Master was boring and pointless.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 PM

LOL Multiple Personality Disorder?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Amazon.ca is listing the street date as April 2'nd, not sure how accurate that is.

P.T. Anderson is my second favourite director, but there have been a lot of complaints that is a boring but great piece of filmmaking to see. I'm not sure if it'll be a good idea to blind buy it if it only warrants one watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
How does that work?
There can be films you really enjoy but have no desire to see again (for me most recently, Flight). I've also seen films I don't like due to personal taste but can acknowledge are well done based on objective criteria like acting, cinematography etc (Zero Dark Thirty).
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salanderfan View Post
that is a boring but great piece of filmmaking to see
If it's "great", it's necessarily not boring.

Quote:
There can be films you really enjoy but have no desire to see again (for me most recently, Flight).
Sure, but if you "really enjoy" them, you're not finding them "boring", are you?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Amazon.ca is listing the street date as April 2'nd, not sure how accurate that is.

P.T. Anderson is my second favourite director, but there have been a lot of complaints that is a boring but great piece of filmmaking to see. I'm not sure if it'll be a good idea to blind buy it if it only warrants one watch.

There can be films you really enjoy but have no desire to see again (for me most recently, Flight). I've also seen films I don't like due to personal taste but can acknowledge are well done based on objective criteria like acting, cinematography etc (Zero Dark Thirty).
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one because of what I've read about the terrific acting of Hoffman & Phoenix, but also from what I've read I'm thinking one viewing is enough, so I'll just rent for now.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
If it's "great", it's necessarily not boring.

Sure, but if you "really enjoy" them, you're not finding them "boring", are you?
Why do you find this concept so hard to comprehend? While I haven't seen The Master, and was just checking comments here to see if it's worthwhile, I can give you a perfect example of this "great, but boring" or "great, but I never want to see it again" concept:

For me, it's Soderbergh's "Traffic". I saw it in the theatrical run, years back. I walked away from the theater in awe of the story, the acting, and the technical grandness of what the director had achieved. But, it was also such an incredibly draining experience...from the emotional journey with the characters, to putting the complex, non-linear story together in your mind. "21 Grams" is a similar challenge in that, while it's perfectly magnificent...it also doesn't scream: "Watch me again, soon!"

And that doesn't mean that I'm not game for 'difficult' movies: "Crash" and "Momento" are similar in format and quality to the other 2 movies I mentioned, but something about them was more rewatchable. Maybe because, ultimately, the arc of the stories have a more emotionally fulfilling conclusion to them.

And, while no one has to agree to my view on these 4 movies, I think we can all find something like that: movies where without a doubt you'll agree they are astounding...ONE time.