'Silent Hill: Revelation' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM

Default 'Silent Hill: Revelation' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Silent Hill: Revelation'. Check it out.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8107...evelation.html
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I was quite disappointed with this movie. The thing I loved about the first one was its camera angles, its atmosphere staying true to the Silent Hill mythos, the music, and the characters. This movie was clearly meant to be 2 hours but was cut down for the 3D garbage and the editing of it shows. There were some good moments in the movie, and I loved how the ending makes it so there can be 4 more movies, but still, I hope they eventually release a director's cut as that is the only way I will ever buy this movie.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 PM

Loved the special make-up effects and the nurses, but everything else was garbage. I adore Solomon Kane and thought that the writer/director of that film would do the SH2 justice. I was wrong. I do thing the first Silent Hill film is the bomb, though.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM

UGH. No director's cut or commentary. Bassett tweeted a while back that he'd recorded one. So frustrating that it's not here, as it would DEFINITELY be interesting to hear "his side" of what the frick went wrong with this movie. I refuse to believe that this movie turned out this bad without some kind of studio interference.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Loved the special make-up effects and the nurses, but everything else was garbage. I adore Solomon Kane and thought that the writer/director of that film would do the SH2 justice. I was wrong. I do thing the first Silent Hill film is the bomb, though.
Wait, you mean they had actually made the Solomon Kane movie? I kept hearing how there was going to be one, and that is would be coming out soon, and then that was it. I figured it was canned.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Wait, you mean they had actually made the Solomon Kane movie? I kept hearing how there was going to be one, and that is would be coming out soon, and then that was it. I figured it was canned.
Yeah, it came out overseas in 2010. I imported the Blu-ray from the UK. I believe it's available on DVD in the states, but not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDZNHYLDOY
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 AM

I really liked the first movie and will have to get this one, even if it's worse and the special features are anemic. Fingers crossed I'll like it more than the general public, just like its predecessor.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 AM

Well, like cheez pointed out, the visuals and special effects are absolutely stunning and very cool. But on the story side, the movie was a complete bore and practically a chore to get through to the end.

And not to give away too much, but the ending is an obvious setup for 'Downpour' with a quick wink-wink reference to 'Origins.' As much as I didn't care for it, that closing minute did give me a good chuckle.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I really liked the first movie and will have to get this one, even if it's worse and the special features are anemic. Fingers crossed I'll like it more than the general public, just like its predecessor.
Chances are high that you'll hate it. The problem with this movie is that it doesn't really work as a sequel to the first movie, since it retcons most of the first movie and hews closer to the games. This SOUNDS like a great thing, but the truth is that, at the end if the day, the pacing is way off and the retcons don't really work, and it slavishly takes the game's story and implements it in a way that makes the games seem completely stupid, which they aren't.

I realize I'm knocking the hell out of this movie, but it's only because my love for Silent Hill is unmatched. I love a lot about this movie, and I feel like a longer, slowed down version would be amazing, but as is, it's kind of terrible.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
Well, like cheez pointed out, the visuals and special effects are absolutely stunning and very cool. But on the story side, the movie was a complete bore and practically a chore to get through to the end.

And not to give away too much, but the ending is an obvious setup for 'Downpour' with a quick wink-wink reference to 'Origins.' As much as I didn't care for it, that closing minute did give me a good chuckle.
SPOILERS:

Actually, the movie can do Origins, Silent Hill 2, Downpour. Origins because of Travis leaving SH. SH2 because of Chris leaving to find Rose. And Downpour because of the cops that were heading into SH.