'The Duellists' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM

Default 'The Duellists' - High-Def Digest Review

Gordon has reviewed Ridley Scott's debut film, 'The Duellists.' This is highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7549/the_duellists.html
Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the review.

From the video section:

"He was fine with objects getting swallowed up by darkness or sunlight blowing out the shots, so shadow delineation is poor"

Is the reviewer aware that use of the term "shadow delineation" in a video software review refers to the fidelity of low-light detail as transferred to the smaller dynamic-range of the video format and has nothing whatsoever to do with cinematographic philosophies practiced in film production?

If he's trying to indicate that the source material makes for an exceptional challenge in producing proper shadow delineation, this statement lacks clarity. Challenging source material does not equate to failure in video transfer though it may make failure more common.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM

I wasn't sure about upgrading then I found out the DVD was selling on eBay for around the price of the blu. However I see there is no mention of "Boy And Bicycle" on the Blu-Ray extras, which is probably why the DVD is collectible. You can always just watch it on YouTube I suppose, and how often would I watch that versus the upgrade in quality with the Blu? Also this title, along with a lot of titles lately, have been difficult to find in Canada. Add in the shipping costs to buy from Amazon, and I may just hold on to my DVD for a bit.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Is the reviewer aware that use of the term "shadow delineation" in a video software review refers to the fidelity of low-light detail as transferred to the smaller dynamic-range of the video format and has nothing whatsoever to do with cinematographic philosophies practiced in film production?
Uh, no. "Shadow detail" or "shadow delineation" means exactly what it says, the ability to make out details in dark parts of the frame. Regardless of whether that was a photographic choice or video transfer issue, if the reviewer finds it distracting, it's worth noting.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Uh, no. "Shadow detail" or "shadow delineation" means exactly what it says, the ability to make out details in dark parts of the frame. Regardless of whether that was a photographic choice or video transfer issue, if the reviewer finds it distracting, it's worth noting.
Certainly, it should be noted. However, the review wording doesn't clarify whether it is a product of both photographic choice and a video transfer issue or just photographic choice. For those familiar with the film and the way it's supposed to look, it would be very helpful to know.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Certainly, it should be noted. However, the review wording doesn't clarify whether it is a product of both photographic choice and a video transfer issue or just photographic choice. For those familiar with the film and the way it's supposed to look, it would be very helpful to know.
Short of Ridley Scott saying something specific about this, how is anyone to know?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Short of Ridley Scott saying something specific about this, how is anyone to know?
Oh, I don't know- maybe by watching the movie? It's been available for viewing in a number of formats for a few years now.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Oh, I don't know- maybe by watching the movie? It's been available for viewing in a number of formats for a few years now.
But you can't use old video transfers as a reference standard for how the photography was actually intended to look.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
But you can't use old video transfers as a reference standard for how the photography was actually intended to look.
You can make that statement about any shots in any movie, regardless of lighting dynamics. Of course, we can only interpret and guess certain aspects of a video transfer's success in a review. That's true, whatever the source material and that's the reviewer's mission. One never knows precisely what the filmmaker was intending- the reviewer is here to use their judgment, education and research to help us understand, as best they can, how well the video transfer is likely to represent the intended look. That's all they can ever do. Here, it's not quite being done.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
You can make that statement about any shots in any movie, regardless of lighting dynamics. Of course, we can only interpret and guess certain aspects of a video transfer's success in a review. That's true, whatever the source material and that's the reviewer's mission. One never knows precisely what the filmmaker was intending- the reviewer is here to use their judgment, education and research to help us understand, as best they can, how well the video transfer is likely to represent the intended look. That's all they can ever do. Here, it's not quite being done.
I'm not really following what you think is insufficient in the review.