'Alex Cross' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM

Default 'Alex Cross' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven Cohen has reviewed the universally panned 'Alex Cross.' Let's begin!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8149/alex_cross.html
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 AM

They replaced Morgan Freeman with Tyler Perry. That is all that needs to be said. They should have just had Perry dress up in the fat suit and called it Medea's Shoots a Bitch.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 AM

Best comedy of the year.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Yes, whoever came up with the idea at the table to make a cross-dressing man Alex Cross & whoever agreed with that idea must have both been high on something.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM

I don't get why the Madea thing bugs people so much. It's not like he cross-dresses in this movie. I've never seen the Madea movies, but I recognize that character as a separate entity. No one complained when Robin Williams aka Mrs. Doubtfire played a cold killer in Insomnia.

Truth be told, Perry was terribly miscasted in this one. But it wasn't because of his previous work as Madea. He just didn't have the dramatic range or physique to convincingly play the character. They should've stuck with Idris Elba as originally planned. I could see him playing a great Cross.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
They replaced Morgan Freeman with Tyler Perry. That is all that needs to be said. They should have just had Perry dress up in the fat suit and called it Medea's Shoots a Bitch.
Well actually if you read the books(which by the third they got pretty bad, and I didn't read any further), Alex Cross is much younger and muscular, so Tyler Perry physically is a better choice for the role, too bad he just can't act. If they ever revisit the books, Michael Jai White would make the perfect Alex Cross.

When I 1st saw previews I was cautiously optimistic because he was more of a match for the literary character, and I hate people say Keanu Reeves will always be Ted to them, so why judge a guy forever because of Madea? Well sometimes it don't work out, and the guy really does just suck lol.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Alex Cross is described in the novels as looking like a young Muhammad Ali - therefore, Will Smith is probably the best choice for him, but the studio couldn't afford him. Denzel Washington would have been perfect for the movies Morgan Freeman was in...Perry is actually closer to Cross of the books than Freeman ever was, even though Morgan's movies were much better.

Cross is probably my favorite recurring literary character...it's a shame he hasn't gotten justice on the big screen yet.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM

We watched this today (Redbox blu-ray rental). It was disappointing. In the extras, James Patterson (the author of the Alex Cross book series) said this was the best Alex Cross film. Oh brother - both "Along Came A Spider" and "Kiss The Girls" are so much better than this release, it is hard to understand how he could rationalize that statement. But Morgan Freeman is surely too old to play the part of Alex Cross any more.
Mr. Patterson also made a point of saying he was the best selling author in the world multiple times. That may be true, but that is mostly due to the fact that he pushes out books at what seems like 1 every other month by writing short novels, with 1 page chapters, and numerous co-authors to help him push more stuff out the door as fast as he can. I do read his books - but only from the local used book store at $.50 to $1 each. That seems like a fair price to me for what you get . .
Old 06-28-2015, 07:32 PM

I guess I'm the only one that liked Tyler Perry as Alex Cross! And since it's on sale at BB for $4, I think I'll pick it up.