'Universal Solider: Day of Reckoning' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM

Default 'Universal Solider: Day of Reckoning' - High-Def Digest Review

Kevin has reviewed 'Universal Solider: Day of Reckoning.' He says this
film is a surprisingly satisfying treat for hardcore action fans. If
you enjoy well-choreographed and well-shot fisticuffs and other
chaotic bits of highly-stylized violence, you'll certainly get a kick
out of the latest in a long line of 'Universal Soldier' movies. With
exceptional video and audio, along with a fair number of extras, this
is well worth a look!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8018...reckoning.html
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Yeoman
'Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning' comes as a single 5GB Blu-ray disc in the standard keep case.
Really?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM

I wonder what all was cut out of this American release. I'm guessing it's just going to be parts of the early brothel scene. I've seen rated R movies with a lot more nudity, sex, blood, torture, and gore than the uncut German release. In fact, it's pretty tame compared the same crap you see on HBO and Cinemax. It just makes no sense that they gave this the equivalent of an X rating and had to dumb it down to get an R rating.

I've probably seen three of the other unisol movies, including the original in our old (now torn down for a car lot) drive-in theater, and this definitely is nothing like any of those. There are several reviews out there, and the critics seem to either really love it or really hate it. This is one of those movies where it could go either way.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 PM

It was actually the violence mostly cut down. The big fight in the sporting goods store final blow isn't seen where half the head is taken off. Also the opening scene with the wife had less blood.

I have really enjoyed the last 2 Universal Soldier flicks. I have this one ordered off eBay though so I can get the uncut 3D version. Hoping it's delivered this week.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 AM

There was a link where they showed all of the instances of blood/gore that were trimmed. I wish I had that link. Also, it seems that just about every territory, other than the US, has the Unrated cut of the film. I'll be importing mine at some point.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
There was a link where they showed all of the instances of blood/gore that were trimmed. I wish I had that link. Also, it seems that just about every territory, other than the US, has the Unrated cut of the film. I'll be importing mine at some point.
http://www.schnittberichte.com/schni....php?ID=583749
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 AM

Does Luc being the bad guy sit wrongly with anyone else? I guess I'm weird, but I really liked the first movie and want to see a proper sequel to that (which The Return isn't), with the same world, characters, and tone.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 PM

I think that John Hyams is the Christopher Nolan of DTDVD action films, this is what I gathered after watching his 2 Universal Soldier movies. I can assure you that even the big budget actioners coming out this year like White House Down etc. won't be as well-directed as those 2 action movies.

True, this movie is bizarre & is directed like a horror movie. The violence is more horror-movie violence than action movie violence in parts. The first hour is mostly attacks and not one-on-one fights. And I for one didn't like that Luc Devereaux, hero of the whole franchise, and such a bad-ass in the last movie, is now a villain. However, things are surreal in this UNISOL universe. Is that really the original Luc or one of his clones? No one really seems to die, everyone seems to have multiple UNISOL clones of themselves, since the Dolph & Andrei characters who died in the last movie are back.

This movie has also made me a big fan of Scott Adkins who I've previously seen in Ninja etc. Here he's shot very well in scenes, the camera captures him nicely and he's given an action role with plenty of juice. The bad ass way he just walks around in a bloody tank top in the last half hour of the movie, hulking in the entire screen and disposing of UNISOL's just made me go out & look up everything else he has made. I've seen him in Assassination Games, Ninja, Expendables 2 etc. but here is where he is in your face. The fight scene in the sports store is definitely the best fight scene I've seen last year in a movie.

Hyams directs the movie in a brooding, atmospheric way, not the way a typical action movie is shot. The pacing might seem slow in the beginning to hardcore fans but when the action presents itself, man is it worth the wait. This pacing also sets up the action to be realistic instead of shootouts every 10 minutes. Although I personally prefer the last Universal Soldier movie and I found this movie to be a bit bizarre and definitely didn't like Van Damme as a villain in his own franchise--I Really enjoy the way Hyams directs an action movie. I enjoyed this movie for that itself, the fluid and atmospheric way it was directed. It's something different and innovative and you know you're witnessing that as you watch, the same way you watch Christopher Nolan directing a Batman movie for the first time and you realize that yes, this is something new & big and makes the previous versions pale by comparison. Hyams is a big step forward for action movies & I can tell you this as a serious action buff.

I wonder what reviewer Tom Landy thinks of this movie, since he was a big fan of the last one.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM

If you haven't seen Undisputed 2 or 3, check those out for Scott Adkins badassery.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 PM

The review is very spot-on. It's a movie even now (watched it on the weekend) where I'm still perplexed as to whether I liked it, give it a pass, or loved it. It definitely sits in your brain after watching. The imagery, and the slow-burning pace culminating in severe bloody action just stay with you.

Since others here have already let the cat out of the bag (it IS a spoiler of sorts to say), I will say that although I was disturbed that Luc was not shown in the 'pure white knight' light in this one, it makes sense when you think about his actions, since he IS a hero. The 'lurking enemy' in all of the Unisol pictures has been the Government itself (for creating them); it's just finally brought full to light in this one.

I give a 'Chump Trophy' to Sony Pictures on this one, though: what's up with them NOT releasing this in 3D in the States? I've got the UK disc (releases 2/11, I believe) on order from Amazon UK. Good thing I've got an Oppo with a region-unlocker. Infuriating why Sony (of "The 3D World Created by Sony" self-imposed fame) keeps doing this with 3D Releases to bolster their PSN 3D rentals (Dark Country, Shark Night before this).

Last item: I will gives props however, that the producers of this movie lavished a 90min documentary on us with this 'small quickie' film. Almost makes up for being burned to have to buy it twice from two different territories.