'Seven Psychopaths' -High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 AM

Default 'Seven Psychopaths' -High-Def Digest Review

Luke has just reviewed 'Seven Psychopaths.' He says this is great and deserves a big audience on Blu-ray. Recommended. Here's why...
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8044...ychopaths.html
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Great movie.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 PM

A friend and I watched this the other day and we were kind of digging it, but really not sure what to make of it. It really has no sense of direction (which I'm guessing is on purpose) and very little actual plot to go on, but it was something completely different from what we were used to watching lately that it kept us watching till the end. I guess thats a good thing, but after we were done with it, we really couldnt figure out how much we liked or didnt like it.

It will definitely be in the cult classic list as most main stream movie goers I dont think will know how to handle this movie.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 PM

I wanted to see this but no one was showing it.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM

I thought it was disappointing with the cast involved. The script was pretty awful.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM

I give the movie a 2/5. Just a strange movie that wasted too many good actors. This is not anywhere near as good as In Bruges.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM

Love this movie.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:36 PM

I posted this on IMDb, and I'll just copypasta here:

I don't think there are any real spoilers... but just in case: *SPOILER WARNING*

"I was so excited to see this movie. Whenever a supposed dark comedy comes out, it's always a treat. I love me some dark comedy <3

Well I sat down to watch it, and immediately I was enthralled. It was hilarious, but also had quite a bit of intelligence to it. Throughout the movie, it seems the comedy tapered off in favor of a more dramatic approach, though. But that's fine with me.

The movie was a big surprise. I loved it all the way through... until the halfway point. At the halfway point, I feel like the film surrendered completely to the ludicrous side of the spectrum, and lost a lot of its charm along with it.

See, the first half was filled with humor, but also drama, and even some emotional tuggings. It was also filled with mystery, taking into account all the different stories of the psychopaths. In addition to this, there were also a lot of little twists and surprises!

But all of this mystery, all of these little twists and surprises, most of this humor... it all fell apart at the halfway point (or whichever point it was that they are driving into the desert talking about the halfway point in their movie). I feel like after that, there was no mystery left, what little revelations there were left were revealed disappointingly, and... gah... I don't know.

I really want to love this movie, but it's undeniable that it lost its genius and charm about halfway through. After that point, it felt so boring and long. :\ It's almost like the writer(s?) wrote the best they could halfway through, and then gave up for the remainder of the film.

Maybe I'm missing some snide commentary on modern cinema and moderating the audience's expectations. Maybe the film is supposed to appear as its own psychopath... crazy and unpredictable at first, but ending up being just another normal human being in the end (because everyone is a psychopath in their own say). I like that angle, but they could have done it so much better :\

Anyone else feel like the film lost steam around the point where they are driving into the desert? The movie went from a solid 9/10 for me straight down to a 5 or 6 because of everything past that point.

I did enjoy the Vietcong's story, though. And I will say the last flash of darkly comedic brilliance was Billy's description of his perfect shootout in the graveyard. That was awesome."

So frustrating
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Really want to check this out, but Skyfall might get in the way of it this weekend...
Old 02-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Felt the movie tried too hard to be clever imo but liked it overall more than I disliked it. Just don't feel the need to watch it again any time soon. Would recommend a rental first.