Blockbuster UK is Being Sold - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Blockbuster UK is Being Sold

The company has entered administration and is now up for grabs, either in parts or in full.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21047652
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDickWard View Post
The company has entered administration and is now up for grabs, either in parts or in full.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21047652
Saw a documentary of sorts on this. It didn't turn out that well...
Spoiler
Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM

Hoping for good news, Been a manager for BB for a few years, Know we arnt in anywhere near as much trouble as HMV, they owed £300million and had to pay back £180mil by the end of January and couldnt. The whole of BB UK is valued at 80million and we have always bought in cash so the money owed is minimal. As far as I know we have a buyer and the likelyhood is closing the few stores that loose us money and keeping the rest open with a new buyer, although I imagine not as "Blockbuster" due to the americans owning the name and a new buyer probably not wanting to pay liscencing fees. Fingers crossed, although 4 stores in my area have been announced as closing due to this. :-(
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM

I only have one left near me in Chicago. Even the stores turning profits are being shut down after the leases end.

Good luck UK Blockbuster!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 AM

We ended up buying a few Blu Rays and games when we popped into our local one the other week. Their prices aren't too bad, the problem is that so many of us can get things more easily online.

It'd kinda be a shame to see them disappear (I have a soft spot for video rental shops!), but in the modern market they're not a business form that makes a lot of sense. For casual buys the supermarkets do best, because people buy the odd thing when buying their groceries. For a dedicated shop, you have to choose to go there, and the numbers of people who do that instead of buying online is decreasing steadily.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM

This seems to be part of a much bigger picture.

The internet is killing electronics and media store retailers in general. Ordering online cuts out a massive amount of overheads (ie actual stores and sales staff) so things are cheaper and it is easier to find the best price, not to mention that the items get delivered to you instead of driving to various different places all over town spending as much time and money on travelling.

In the case of blockbuster, why bother renting a movie when it is cheap enough to download it (legally) and own it.

I can see an end to electronics and media stores permenantly. They will all turn into Starbucks or some form of supermarket. That is what is happening here in Scotland.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
HDD Contributor

Sadly, they've had to shut 129 stores. Jsmith, 23 of those were in Scotland, which now only has 43 Blockbuster's left.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...9-stores-29410

Also, I absolutely think physical media is going to continue to be less interesting to consumers. 4K may well be what makes the difference. Your average consumer isn't going to want to buy yet another disc player and brand new discs. 4K resolution downloads/streams, on the other hand, would be more easily accepted. If the pricing's right and the content is easy to get, of course.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDickWard View Post
Sadly, they've had to shut 129 stores. Jsmith, 23 of those were in Scotland, which now only has 43 Blockbuster's left.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...9-stores-29410

Also, I absolutely think physical media is going to continue to be less interesting to consumers. 4K may well be what makes the difference. Your average consumer isn't going to want to buy yet another disc player and brand new discs. 4K resolution downloads/streams, on the other hand, would be more easily accepted. If the pricing's right and the content is easy to get, of course.
I agree with you, but I personally don't understand why they had to go down the route of 4K now, when they haven't even perfected BD and HD broadcasting as it is. Talking about newer technology will only make people reluctant to buy, when there must be innovations that can be made to 1080p.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM

4k now? Man, I can't even imagine that unless I have an incredibly large screen. At some point, my middle aged eyes can't tell the difference.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

What amazes me most about this article is that they still have 528 stores... really? lol
They've tried everything to compete with red box except lower their prices.