Off to rent my first Blu-ray from Blockbuster - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Off to rent my first Blu-ray from Blockbuster

Honestly, it's cool that you can just pop into a blockbuster and get one

I don't have either netflix or blockbuster online...I watch movies sporadically, so being able to just go into a store when the need arises and quench the need quickly is always good!

I wanna get Mel Gibson's Mayan movie...there's a scene there with leafcutter ants and I wanna see whether blu-ray will allow me to ID it (the DVD version was a bit too fuzzy)....

http://blueboard.rimlife.com/leafcutters/
Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 PM

Dang! Apocalypto was rented out!

I rented Curse of the Golden Flower instead - I'm sure Gong Li in hi-def will compensate for those leafcutters in Apocalypto!

As an aside, this deal with Blockbuster is REALLY good...there was an entire area (in the new section) containing just Blu-ray and a big sign above it saying "Blu-ray"....about half the titles were rented out and i was 1 of 3 people who rented a title within a 20 minute span. people who passed by were talking about it...one guy told his girl friend that they were telling a friend to buy blu-ray instead of the xbox add-on because you couldn't rent Hd-DVD - the girl asked why you couldn't

Also, there is probably a good reason why blockbuster decided on promoting just one format - it's confusing to consumers. The clerks told me some people were intrigued by the covers and were thinking of renting them even though they did not have blu-ray playeres - the clerks routinely ask whether they have players before they rent them out...can u imagine having TWO NEW formats to explain?

Blockbuster obviously did the right thang!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 PM

They didn't do the right thing, for a few reasons - first it's early and they've shut their consumer base off from a format which has advantages (they both do, I'm not looking for an argument) and exclusives (again, both formats do). Second, think about the numbers game we've all been hearing (BD sales and HD player sales) and it will tell you BD player owners buy movies, HD player owners don't (as much anyway), which would you rather stock if you owned the company? Their shareholders may find this weird someday if stock and subscribers start to drop ...

More importantly; your Blockbuster offers BD in-store? I asked their website and about every employee which locations around me do, and no one has an answer. I expected Blockbuster to be more efficient and have a list online or in-store telling me where I can rent them locally ... I'm not impressed so far, but still looking. I'd like to rent both formats online, as well as BD in-store instead of having to walk out with an SD Disc until my new ones are shipped.

I'm in the So. MD area (Waldorf/La Plata) if anyone knows any locally ...
Old 07-24-2007, 11:06 PM

I think you're underestimating the stupidity of the average consumer. 25% of them are still shoving DVDs into their VHS decks and wondering "why it don't fit?" Two new formats would boggle their minds.

Working retail for many years gives you a whole new insight on how stupid most people really are. The scenes from Clerks are just the tip of the iceberg. Honestly, one new format is more than most people can handle. I'm absolutely certain that many people will rent BDs and try to play them on a standard DVD player.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUHNAHTIK View Post
More importantly; your Blockbuster offers BD in-store?
About 1 in 4 stores have them...this is where i got it:

7000 Hadley Road
South Plainfield, NJ 07080-1127
(908) 561-1222

You need to call first since not all stores have them.

As to why only Blu-ray, I already explained that with regards to not confusing customers...Plus, Blockbuster only has a certain amount of shelf space, and having movies that will rent on average, 3x per week versus 1-2x per week means you stock the disc type that rents more - finally, there are probably immediate efficiencies that come into play when having to distribute just one format instead of 2.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Banned

Yea I have 2 stores one in my city where I live and the other about 10minutes away. I have Blockbuster online and after I watch the HD-DVD's I get in the mail I turn them back into the store for free Blu-Ray Discs.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUHNAHTIK View Post
They didn't do the right thing, for a few reasons - first it's early and they've shut their consumer base off from a format which has advantages (they both do, I'm not looking for an argument) and exclusives (again, both formats do). Second, think about the numbers game we've all been hearing (BD sales and HD player sales) and it will tell you BD player owners buy movies, HD player owners don't (as much anyway), which would you rather stock if you owned the company? Their shareholders may find this weird someday if stock and subscribers start to drop ...

More importantly; your Blockbuster offers BD in-store? I asked their website and about every employee which locations around me do, and no one has an answer. I expected Blockbuster to be more efficient and have a list online or in-store telling me where I can rent them locally ... I'm not impressed so far, but still looking. I'd like to rent both formats online, as well as BD in-store instead of having to walk out with an SD Disc until my new ones are shipped.

I'm in the So. MD area (Waldorf/La Plata) if anyone knows any locally ...
looks like somebody is bitter for being on the wrong side of the format war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
I think you're underestimating the stupidity of the average consumer. 25% of them are still shoving DVDs into their VHS decks and wondering "why it don't fit?" Two new formats would boggle their minds.
dude, at BBY, we have people return Blu-rays cause they thought it would work in their HD DVD player let alone people who just wanna pay $40 a pop and find out that neither HD DVD or Blu-ray work in their regular DVD player
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
dude, at BBY, we have people return Blu-rays cause they thought it would work in their HD DVD player let alone people who just wanna pay $40 a pop and find out that neither HD DVD or Blu-ray work in their regular DVD player

More evidence to support my assertion that the average consumer is not very bright...excellent...
<rubs hands together and cackles evilly>
Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim1998 View Post
The clerks told me some people were intrigued by the covers and were thinking of renting them even though they did not have blu-ray playeres - the clerks routinely ask whether they have players before they rent them out...can u imagine having TWO NEW formats to explain?
I've done my share of renting and purchasing of BDs from Blockbuster. And I wondered why the cashier asked me if I had a BD player. When I asked her why, she said that there were people who would rent or buy BDs and/or HD DVDs and wonder why they didn't work in their DVD players; similarly, there were HD DVD player owners who would purchase or rent BDs and wonder why they didn't work. Now, each employee is required to ask the customer about their hardware to avoid problems.

Wow. Now, in my profession, I see stupid people all the time. And people just seem to get stupider and stupider. If you don't know, ask. Isn't that why we are supposed to be "intelligent beings," capable of communication?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
looks like somebody is bitter for being on the wrong side of the format war
WRONG! Nuetral, Son! (A20 + PS3 + Denon 2910 DVD)

I just think common logic applies very well to this situation, it's bad for your company in the long run when you neglect an entire consumer population (those with HD-DVD players only).

I also think it's stupid to "choose sides" of the argument, this is clearly a situation where only those with both or neither benefit.

Quote:
BBY
Word.