'Guys and Dolls' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Default 'Guys and Dolls' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'Guys and Dolls.' He says this is far from the best Hollywood musical, but it has enough stellar moments to merit attention more than 60 years after its release. With excellent video and audio, and a nice array of supplements, this Blu-ray comes
recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7433..._digibook.html
Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 AM

I'm gonna have to snag this one as it is an old favorite. Nice to know it seems to have gotten a good transfer over to Blu.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:49 PM

I had this preordered, and it was here the day before it came out, but I am once again in the middle of a move, so it got stuck in the packing boxes, still in its Shrink Wrap. With the amount of time it takes me to unpack after a move, I will probably end up pulling out in about a month or two, forgetting that I even own it.

But I can't wait to stick it in. Warner's restoration of Technicolor material is always mind-blowing!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Default Excellent review

I can count the number of musicals I've enjoyed in my life on both hands.

With that said, I've been a fan of Guys and Dolls since childhood, despite its considerable shortcomings, and David effectively condenses those in a few choice paragraphs.

I couldn't agree more about the roster of unfortunate choices, as Mankiewicz "ran the table" with confounding cast, set, and score decisions. Could any other A list director of the time had worse instincts adapting the material? Perhaps the fault ultimately rests with Goldwyn, who just as mysteriously anointed Otto Preminger to direct Porgy and Bess four years later.

I also agree with David about Jean Simmons: She's very under appreciated in the role of Sister Sarah, and might have been one of the few lucky accidents of Mankewicz's addled judgement.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mayhem View Post
I can count the number of musicals I've enjoyed in my life on both hands.

With that said, I've been a fan of Guys and Dolls since childhood, despite its considerable shortcomings, and David effectively condenses those in a few choice paragraphs.

I couldn't agree more about the roster of unfortunate choices, as Mankiewicz "ran the table" with confounding cast, set, and score decisions. Could any other A list director of the time had worse instincts adapting the material? Perhaps the fault ultimately rests with Goldwyn, who just as mysteriously anointed Otto Preminger to direct Porgy and Bess four years later.

I also agree with David about Jean Simmons: She's very under appreciated in the role of Sister Sarah, and might have been one of the few lucky accidents of Mankewicz's addled judgement.
Thanks for your kind comments about the review. I'm happy that you agree with me about Jean Simmons. I wish she would get her proper due for her work in the film. She's like a breath of fresh air!