'The Cabin in the Woods' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 PM

Default 'The Cabin in the Woods' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has just reviewed 'The Cabin in the Woods.' He says the Blu-ray could have been better, but the movie is amazing, and what we get here is still pretty danged good. Highly Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7309/cabin_woods.html
Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM

BD-25? Is this 2007? Seriously. What a way to ruin an incredible movie. I'll either wait for a special edition or for this to be on sale for $10.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Saw it. Thought it was "aight." The Descent was better, Audition was better. A lot of films are better than this. It was an enjoyable Sunday afternoon killer, but nothing more than that.

The thing that bother me the most was the terrible costume work. Talk about low budget. Seriously. It bothered me. I let that stuff slide if the filmmakers were actually strapped. However, this had a budget...and the creature effects were pretty substandard.

Thirdly, there's nothing to spoil. If you don't figure out this film in the first 15 minutes...then there's something wrong with you. It's completely obvious where the thing is going.

Spoiler
Titans...really?

Key to filmmakers...don't actually show your "ultimate horror." You leave it to the viewer.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Loved this movie! Already pre-ordered. Gonna have a viewing party with some friends next weekend.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:07 PM

I love that lenticular cover, had no clue it had that but very cool. but yeah that is pretty spoilery but then again, thats the price you pay sometimes watching a movie for the first time on home video. the worst one is probably the menu, some movies show scenes and they sometimes show stuff you shouldnt be seeing before watching the movie if thats your first viewing. lol

anyway i saw this back in theaters and loved it as well, its pure whedon through and through and this time without the constraints of censors!! lol but yeah i gotta agree with twonunpackmule that you can pretty much see where its heading early on.

Spoiler
maybe not the whole "free for all gangbang" at the end but the idea that its all some ritual to appease some sorta demon or god was given away pretty early for me with the first shot of the blood going down a stone. it reminded me of the first Blade and its similar scene near the end so when i saw that i was like "oh, there's some ritual thing going on".

but none of that takes anything away, i thought it was a great and awesome movie. i still remember this teenage girl sitting near me in the theater saying "what the hell is going on i dont get it, is it supposed to be funny?" pretty early on. lol
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 PM

I want this price to drop before I buy.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 PM

I received my copy early and went through all of the supplements yesterday. How are there no deleted scenes? Or extra info/footage on the various creatures? I have to believe there is more stuff hidden as easter eggs on there but I wasn't able to find anything myself.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:03 PM

I had high hopes, heard so many good things, even twisted my girls arm to watch it with me. but boy was i dissapointed. I totally expected for it to not be like every other scary movie out there and to be something fresh and new , but i honestly thought it was just stupid.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancersticks1 View Post
I received my copy early and went through all of the supplements yesterday. How are there no deleted scenes? Or extra info/footage on the various creatures? I have to believe there is more stuff hidden as easter eggs on there but I wasn't able to find anything myself.
Dude, I did every search that I knew trying to find easter eggs. Nodoby wants easter eggs for this disc more than me. I want one that shows every CCTV monitor individually.

Did you watch the special features that are included? One showed a deleted monster from the movie who is simply a creepy-looking shirtless dude chasing people and holding plastic bags over their faces. I about peed my pants when they showed that clip!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 PM

I absolutely loved this movie - great surprise when I went to see it at the theatre - a true gift to horror fans - can't wait to watch it again!