'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Extended Edition' - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Default 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Extended Edition' - HDD Review

We've just reviewed 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Extended Edition.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4593/king_extended.html
Old 11-26-2014, 07:22 PM

Well, just got finished watching it (for the first time ever, I might add). I gotta tell you, while I enjoyed the first two films, I thought the third film was the weakest of the trilogy. Obviously the battle scenes were done terrifically, but as for the story and character development, I thought they could of been told a lot better.
If I had to score each film, I'd probably give the first one a 4.5/5, second film a 4/5, and the third film a 3.5/5.
It really makes me wonder how the third one won 11 Academy Awards. Winning Best Picture over the likes of Seabiscuit and Master and Commander baffles me. Same goes for Best Adapted Screenplay. Even Best Musical Score (I mean it was good for what it was, but I've heard better, more memorable scores from films that were never nominated for anything). But then again, it's reasons like this why I don't pay any attention to award ceremonies anymore.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
It really makes me wonder how the third one won 11 Academy Awards... But then again, it's reasons like this why I don't pay any attention to award ceremonies anymore.
How many Academy Awards did the first 2 films win compared to the 3rd?

I would pay attention to the review's bottom line: "Get the Trilogy." Also
note that the thread for the trilogy has over 1,000 posts. And this thread
had none before yours.

It's pretty clear, the trilogy is being judged as a whole. Fair or unfair,
that's what happened. RotK got awarded for the cumulative work.

While I enjoyed Sea Biscuit and Master & Commander, their discs don't
have the replay value of LotR. Though I do replay M&C every so often for
the sound.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
How many Academy Awards did the first 2 films win compared to the 3rd?

I would pay attention to the review's bottom line: "Get the Trilogy." Also
note that the thread for the trilogy has over 1,000 posts. And this thread
had none before yours.

It's pretty clear, the trilogy is being judged as a whole. Fair or unfair,
that's what happened. RotK got awarded for the cumulative work.

While I enjoyed Sea Biscuit and Master & Commander, their discs don't
have the replay value of LotR. Though I do replay M&C every so often for
the sound.
I have the trilogy on blu-ray. Just felt like like commenting on the 3rd film solely. And I can see what you're saying about how the entire trilogy getting awarded, and that's the reason why the 3rd film won all the awards. Personally I don't find that fair at all, but it is what it is. By that thinking though, Return of the Jedi should of won the same number of awards.
Again, I'm not saying that Return of the King is a bad film; absolutely not. I'm just saying that there were other films a lot more worthy of 'Best Picture' than it.