Some movie studios have stopped using the BD-LIVE feature completely (Sony and others - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Banned

Default Some movie studios have stopped using the BD-LIVE feature completely (Sony and others

Some movie studios have stopped using the BD-LIVE feature completely

BD-LIVE is a minor feature of the Blu-ray format that is used by many movie studios like Universal Studios, 20th Century Fox, and many other studios. Some Blu-ray titles with the BD-LIVE feature allow consumers to download or stream bonus features and/or movie trailers over the Internet.

I have noticed that some of the latest Sony and Warner Bros Blu-ray titles do not offer the BD-LIVE feature at all. Not offering the BD-LIVE feature greatly reduces disc loading problems.

The Sony BD-LIVE server has been completely disabled for playing back movie trailers and bonus features

I ran into a New Line Blu-ray title that no longer had a working BD-LIVE feature. Today I tested 5 or more Sony Blu-ray titles and the BD-LIVE server is no longer offering Sony Blu-ray movie trailers or any other bonus features. Instead when one tries to use the BD-LIVE feature on any Sony Blu-ray title they get the following message from the Sony BD-LIVE server:

“For information about current and upcoming titles from Sony Pictures, visit www.sonypictures.com/bluray

Perhaps as a cost cutting budget decision Sony might have decided to stop using the BD-LIVE feature. Sony and other studios can always discontinue or reactivate the BD-LIVE feature when every they want as long as the Blu-ray title supports the BD-LIVE feature. For now, Sony is not doing anything with BD-LIVE.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:28 PM

And the people rejoiced!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:41 PM

Studios simply never embraced what BD-Live could've been and instead went the easy route and simply used the name to add on up-to-date advertising and trailers to older titles. BD-Live was never fully realized and now they're just scraping it. Makes sense. If you're not going to use it right then don't use it at all.

Plus Sony sticks a dozen trailers on their discs (before the movie) anyway, so they don't really need BD-Live to pipe them in for them (freaking Sony and their dozens of trailers).

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 PM

I put in District 9 and MIB last night and discovered this.

Remarkable. This is so typical of the way too many elements of the industry work: throw things at the wall, see what sticks and what slides (often based upon poor execution) and then when something that could have been grand slides, quietly abandon it.

A few years after "interactivity"--a codeword for trying to woo/retain gamers' eyeballs when Hollywood became almost as concerned about gaming revenue eclipsing the annual box office as it is piracy--was the latest buzz word in home video circles, even Sony walks away from BD-Live. I'm reminded of their tardy support for their own SA-CD format in their BD players (it didn't happen until 2011) which they are now (partly) walking away from (only the upper end players in their 2013 BD player line support SA-CD). Here's an article in which SPHE prexy David Bishop is quoted stating how remiss the industry would be not to pursue this interactivity: “our industry [would] risk alienating a new generation of consumers who passionately believe that their entertainment should be a compelling, always-connected experience.” Another exec touts how Sony--first to market BD-Live internationally--offers "interactive content that’s been localized for 10 different major global markets.”

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/hig...d-player-15458

It's not so much that I was a big supporter of BD-Live. It's--to quote Neil Peart--"all the crap we had to take": All the long load times and disc playback issues that were frequently attributable to BD-Live being on and poor design/engineering. I reached a point after initial interest wherein I simply turned BD-L off unless I was specifically interested in what a particular title had to offer.

But I did take the time to register for the SPHE I think it was "Blu-ray Club," wherein you could "register" your SPHE BDs and accumulate points to earn stuff (in the same way using your Sony Rewards credit card did). Poof. I assume that is all gone now.

I'm also struck by the "cloud" implications: Here we have an example of a major industry effort towards "interactivity" and, more importantly, streaming content that was baked into the BD specification that is now no longer accessible. I don't think it unreasonable to view this as something of an example that could/can happen with streamed content that you purchase access to and store in your "cloud" account. If the content provider decides at some point that they no longer wish to offer that access . . . Poof.

Another ironic point is that the whole reason BD "Profiles" existed is because the BDA was concerned about coming to market several months after HD DVD without Ethernet ports on players capable of connecting to the 'net (and ergo, no BD-Live). So that was given the name "Profile 2.0" and manufs were given the latitude to market Profile 1.0 and I think 1.1 BD players that didn't have the Internet connectivity at all and therefore no BD-Live capability.

And IMO the only thing almost as remarkable as this development is how very little discussion board chatter and trade press reporting I've found about it (after admittedly cursory Googling). HDTV1080P, did you start a thread on Blu-ray.com about this? If so, I couldn't find it--I looked.

Last edited by Paul R.S.; 08-06-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM

It seems like whenver I actually checked out the BD-Live content, it was just trailers for other movies.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
It seems like whenver I actually checked out the BD-Live content, it was just trailers for other movies.
Yes, IMO a failure to realize the potential; and then they're surprised folks aren't excited about it.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:20 PM

BD-Live was doomed from conception. Watching movies is primarily a passive experience. When you watch a movie, you want to watch the movie. Movies are not "interactive," and attempts to make them more like video games were doomed to failure.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R.S. View Post
It's not so much that I was a big supporter of BD-Live. It's--to quote Neil Peart--"all the crap we had to take": All the long load times and disc playback issues that were frequently attributable to BD-Live being on and poor design/engineering. I reached a point after initial interest wherein I simply turned BD-L off unless I was specifically interested in what a particular title had to offer.
Remembering that "issues" with certain titles involved deleting the BD Live cache folder. So True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Movies are not "interactive," and attempts to make them more like video games were doomed to failure.
With regards to watching the primary content; There is nothing more annoying about trying to watch a Law & Order SVU rerun on USA and have a twitter crawl on the screen nonstop. Have also see Picture in Picture squares on some of the channels that used to play music videos but now play nothing but shit. It's like Wait, am I trying to watch this, or am I to be constantly distracted by that and forget what I was trying to watch originally?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
BD-Live was doomed from conception. Watching movies is primarily a passive experience. When you watch a movie, you want to watch the movie. Movies are not "interactive," and attempts to make them more like video games were doomed to failure.
Josh Z! Long time no discush. Thanks for chiming in with your comments. I agree with what I think you're saying in the narrower context. But I think you might be missing the/my points in the broader sense and I have a different perspective I'd like to share.

I had a different vision/hope for what BD-Live was going to/could be. As a supplements buff, I was hoping that BD-Live would become a vehicle for delivering substantive production documentaries and commentaries in the future/on an ongoing basis when deadlines and perhaps talent availability didn't permit their completion before a BD production deadline.

Or perhaps entirely new feature documentary content not even contemplated at the time of the BD's release. For instance, I'll pick a Sony title I love, Vertical Limit (even though, released in 2007, it is not BD-L enabled). Lloyd Phillips was a producer on the pic (and 12 Monkeys and an EP on Man Of Steel) and he died in January. Wouldn't it be grand if, say, a career retrospective docu were done on him and those who'd registered their Vertical Limit BDs (were it so enabled) received an e-mail regarding the availability of that content either on BD-Live or through the Sony Pictures streaming available via the XMB of I think all their BD players?

So I did not think of BD-Live as something that was synonymous with "interactivity" and don't agree that it HAD to be doomed from inception. It's the execution that was/is the problem. When I want to watch supps, I'd generally rather they be a la carte and not tied to "viewing" the film, such as a trivia track. But I know there are others who are not necessarily like that. But again, if more of the PIP and Warner "In Movie Experiences" were as well-executed as the absolutely outstanding Tom Cruise/J.J. Abrams PIP commentary track exclusive to the Mission: Impossible III HD DVD (Par has yet to port it over to BD despite re-releasing that movie twice now) then I'd def be more interested.

And I wish I could agree more that any "attempts to make [movies] more like video games [are] doomed to failure" because the studios keep on pursuing this despite our belief that it should stop! The very District 9 BD that led me to discover that Sony is no longer supporting BD-Live also has not only their CineChat feature on it (chat with your friends while you watch the movie!) but also MovieIQ, a stream of IMDb-esque info and trivia that you have to keep pressing "Enter" to see every time an icon appears onscreen, like some Pavlovian dog, even after turning that feature on.

Okay so that BD was released in 2009. But this trend has not abated: the fashionable term has shifted from "interactivity" to "second screen" functionality and apparently a BD producer as seasoned as Charlie de Lauzirika and a director as powerful as Ridley Scott are not able to keep Fox from putting it on the Prometheus BD last year. The rise of the smartphone and now especially the tablet during the BD era have only exacerbated these endeavors. Personally, I'm not interested in controlling my BD player with my cell phone (a BlackBerry, dammit!) but apparently some people are. Or are studios chasing solutions to problems that don't exist, doing things because they can not because they should? I think that is indeed part of the problem.

Another factor that has to be mentioned here is the way streaming content has hijacked the function of the baked in Ethernet connection that was originally intended for something else. Richly ironic to me given that, with BD-Live, we had an industry standard hardware mechanism for content delivery by all studios. Now with streaming, we have no industry standard but an arguable war going on for who is gonna be the "content king" between Hulu, Vudu, Amazon and Netflix.

So apparently the beatings are to continue until morale improves.

Last edited by Paul R.S.; 08-07-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R.S. View Post
I had a different vision/hope for what BD-Live was going to/could be. As a supplements buff, I was hoping that BD-Live would become a vehicle for delivering substantive production documentaries and commentaries in the future/on an ongoing basis when deadlines and perhaps talent availability didn't permit their completion before a BD production deadline.

Or perhaps entirely new feature documentary content not even contemplated at the time of the BD's release.
That would be a worthy use of BD-Live. Unfortunately, if the studio is going to spend the money to produce new supplements, they need to recoup that expense. Rather than just offer it for free to users who bought the old Blu-ray, they'd much rather reissue the movie in a double-dip "Anniversary Edition" that you'll have to buy to get that new content.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.