'Girls Just Want to Have Fun' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Default 'Girls Just Want to Have Fun' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has reviewed 'Girls Just Want to Have Fun.' He did NOT have fun. Here's why:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6387..._want_fun.html
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM

It's interesting that you mentioned One Crazy Summer. I saw it for the first time a few months ago, and was amazed at both the cast, and how bizarrely surreal the movie was. It felt like a mashup of a bunch of other 80s movies.
And even though there was the overlap of John Cusack, it reminded me of Better Off Dead, mostly because of the strange gag about the little girls with the messed up faces.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordashebasics View Post
It's interesting that you mentioned One Crazy Summer. I saw it for the first time a few months ago, and was amazed at both the cast, and how bizarrely surreal the movie was. It felt like a mashup of a bunch of other 80s movies.
And even though there was the overlap of John Cusack, it reminded me of Better Off Dead, mostly because of the strange gag about the little girls with the messed up faces.
Agreed...One Crazy Summer was a favorite of mine growing up, but NONE of my friends liked it at all. But, they also didn't like Better Off Dead...I quickly made new friends I want to see One Crazy Summer on BluRay...

Luke, I recognize you went through hell watching this piece of garbage (I grew up in the 80's and have never even heard of this movie), but your review was helpful to me for one very important reason: I had no idea Better Off Dead was released on BluRay...ordering it now.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM

I watched this too many times to count on VHS as a kid. (Yes I admit it) Nothing like a cheesy eighties movie with a great soundtrack. Dancing in heaven by q-feel still rocks!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:18 AM

Hell, yeah! Best song ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4PbkinK12k
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM

I remember this movie growing up and it had some funny moments, certainly the Tuning in Tokyo with Jonathan Silverman and the Coin Toss Scene!

I felt the review of the movie was a little harsh as Luke even admitted that he "hates dance movies". This movie is formulaic and cheesy and predictable, even by 80s standards, but it was better than a 1 star, maybe only up to 2.5 stars.

The review of the vital disc stats were far more useful to me. I probably wouldn't have bought this movie under any circumstances, but I remember it being fun when I saw it growing up and my sisters loved it. Haven't seen it in years.

Very disappointed that so little was done with the video and audio of this release.

This release makes me question what about this movie put it ahead of so many other 80s movies? Was there a clamor for this to come out on Blu-Ray? Maybe if it was during the height of Sex and the City, but that was years ago.