'Eraserhead [UK Import]' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Default 'Eraserhead [UK Import]' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Eraserhead [UK Import].' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7324/eraserhead_uk.html
Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Thanks, Josh!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Now this review (and disc) certainly was a breath of fresh air! Very pleased to see more import releases getting reviewed at HDD. Also very pleased to see that Eraserhead wasn't completely butchered like the other releases in the set (for which Universal apparently has initiated a replacement program).

Apart from the region-issue (I had my doubts as to whether it _actually_ was locked or not, since it automatically gets ejected w/o warning message on the PS3), this release will blow the socks off any Lynch fan (and probably quite a few others as well). Excepting the fact that fans will of course, as Josh mentions, probably be able to recite most (or all) of the dialogue verbatim it certainly felt like I was watching it for the first time.

Great review. But did you have to mention the possibility of Criterion releasing it again after all the back and forth with Lynch? Now I'm getting my hopes up for other Criterion Lynch releases as well – especially Mulholland Drive.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag0nFly View Post
Very pleased to see more import releases getting reviewed at HDD.
More coming soon! I'm working my way through the entire Lynch filmography.

Quote:
Apart from the region-issue (I had my doubts as to whether it _actually_ was locked or not, since it automatically gets ejected w/o warning message on the PS3),
It's definitely locked to Region B. I have to manually change the region on my hacked OPPO player.

Quote:
Great review. But did you have to mention the possibility of Criterion releasing it again after all the back and forth with Lynch? Now I'm getting my hopes up for other Criterion Lynch releases as well – especially Mulholland Drive.
Lynch owns Eraserhead outright, so that's the most likely candidate of all of his films to be released through Criterion.

Mulholland Drive is distributed by Universal in the US and Studio Canal in Europe. If Criterion wanted to do that movie, they'd have to go through Universal. While this isn't totally out of the realm of possibility (Universal has licensed a couple of titles to Criterion in the past, such as Dazed & Confused and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas), that's a rare occurrence and I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 PM

"For region free fans" almost makes it sound like the disc is region free.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
"For region free fans" almost makes it sound like the disc is region free.
Yeah, I had trouble coming up with a "Bottom Line" that would fit in the character limit, and would still indicate that the disc is worthwhile if you can deal with the region block. I'm open to suggestions.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Having seen thousands of movies, "Eraserhead" has the honor of being among the only four I've ever walked out of.

Curious, are ya? Ok: "Ordinary People", "Moulin Rouge", "Notorious C.H.O."
Old 07-24-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJim View Post
Having seen thousands of movies, "Eraserhead" has the honor of being among the only four I've ever walked out of.

Curious, are ya? Ok: "Ordinary People", "Moulin Rouge", "Notorious C.H.O."
What a strange assemblange of titles.

For what it's worth, I'm with you on 'Moulin Rouge!'. 30 seconds of that convinced me that it was among the worst movies I'd ever seen. The other four hours (or however long it actually lasted - that's what it felt like) just kept bludgeoning that point home.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM

Great review Josh. I've been holding out on purchasing any of these Lynch discs, but I trust your judgment and ordered this classic.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Lynch owns Eraserhead outright, so that's the most likely candidate of all of his films to be released through Criterion.

Mulholland Drive is distributed by Universal in the US and Studio Canal in Europe. If Criterion wanted to do that movie, they'd have to go through Universal. While this isn't totally out of the realm of possibility (Universal has licensed a couple of titles to Criterion in the past, such as Dazed & Confused and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas), that's a rare occurrence and I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
That's not true.

Firstly, Lynch sold Eraserhead and his short films to MK2.

Secondly, Universal has licensed more than 30 titles to Criterion for DVD and Blu-ray releases. Not a rare occasion at all.