'The New World: Extended Cut' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Default 'The New World: Extended Cut' - High-Def Digest Review

We've just reviewed 'The New World: Extended Cut.' Kevin Yeoman says this film showcases some of director's Terence Malick's finest work. This Blu-ray features stunning video, rich audio, and worthwhile extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2409/newworld.html
Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Default Hell Yes!!

Welcome Kevin!

Finally, a review of this beautiful, underrated (and undeservedly so), sublime piece of cinema. The Tree of Life, Malick's more heavily awards-laden effort, is nothing compared to the perfection he achieved oh-so-very-well in The New World.

I recently wrote a congratulatory e-mail to the head gang leaders in charge of this site (my attempt at humor; forgive me, please! at least I tried; it's not all gonna be gold, ya know?). I stated that, among other things, their writing styles belong to the same rarified air occupied by one of my literary idols, the great Mr. Roger Ebert. His inevitable death will be difficult for me to deal with.

Luckily, I have this site as a back-up, crude and base as that may sound when referring to the life-or-death situation of a fellow human being.

Kevin, you fit right in. Your prose, particularly in the video analysis section of your piece, shines just as brightly as do the others.

My favorite aspect of any review/analysis here on High-Def Digest is the AUDIO portion. I am practically mental when it comes to the fine-tuning and auditory perfection of both film soundtracks as well as music (I prefer soul and hip-hop, so I have several Beats by Dr. Dre headphones). Kevin, your descriptions of how Malick's intentions were more or less completely fulfilled by the Blu-ray Disc release of The New World were, pardon my language, f*cking awesome. F*cking. Brilliant. (Can we swear on this site? Can I please get an answer to that? And who's on first?)

Enough of my blathering and carrying on. For those of you who haven't seen it, you ought to blind-buy it IMMEDIATELY.

If you don't own The New World on blu-ray, ask yourself this question: Do I own the 6-film blu-ray set of the Star Wars films??? If your answer is "yes," ask yourself a follow-up question: Why on earth, or on Mars, or the f*cking moon did I shell out money for three bullsh*t prequel films that destroyed and will continue to destroy the once-glorious dreams of loyal former-franchise fans??? (Side-note: Yes, I write long-windedly. There, I said it. and if you don't like it, suck a dick!)

Wow I've written a sh*t ton already.

I'm gonna wrap this up by welcoming Kevin as a damn good writer who just reviewed a damn good movie that all you damn movie-illiterate people out there should buy ASAP. Damn my wrists are sore from writing on this damn laptop.

PEACE AND LOVE, PEACE AND LOVE!!!! (only Stern fans will understand my reference there)

Sincerely, K. Johnson
Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 PM

Unfortunately the Blu lOOks a bit digital too me.
Quite a shame.
Who knew we'd be blessed too still have environments that could take us back too when our heavily industrialized country was indeed a "New World".
Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 PM

Great review and welcome to the site! Looking forward to more.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Welcome, Kevin!

I'm a pretty big fan of THE NEW WORLD. I think my favorite cut is still the original 150min version that pre-dated the 2006 theatrical release -- I was fortunate to see it at the Arclight Hollywood in December 2005 -- but to be honest I can't remember anymore how much difference there is between that version and this Blu-ray.This is the film where I finally understood Malick's style and pacing, which made me revisit his other work.

The 136min theatrical cut wasn't as engrossing or poetic. It felt rushed.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM

This one has been out in the UK for a long time, I picked it up for ~5 not long ago on Amazon.co.uk, but not got round to watching it yet.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:43 PM

I have only seen the theatrical cut DVD of this. But I thought the editing was horrendous. Every scene seemed to have jump cuts all over the place. The only reason I was able to follow the narrative of the movie is because it is a story everyone already knows.

Anyone else feel the same way? The cinematography itself was very good, as was the acting. The editing really pulled me out though.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:22 PM

Tree Dude,

I hear you man, and respect that opinion, but I gotta say i disagree in a big f-in' way.

the narrative was not at ALL filled with jump cuts; I despise jump cuts when they are used improperly, and I so-very-much would have noticed if this movie were to have used that kind of shutter-cutting, as I sometimes put it.

question: have you, or do you ever plan to, see the BD version??? cuz that can be a major f-in' game changer when it comes to movies you see just once on a far inferior format (DVD).
Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Johnson View Post
Tree Dude,

I hear you man, and respect that opinion, but I gotta say i disagree in a big f-in' way.

the narrative was not at ALL filled with jump cuts; I despise jump cuts when they are used improperly, and I so-very-much would have noticed if this movie were to have used that kind of shutter-cutting, as I sometimes put it.

question: have you, or do you ever plan to, see the BD version??? cuz that can be a major f-in' game changer when it comes to movies you see just once on a far inferior format (DVD).
I have no plans to watch the BR. For what it is worth, my wife felt the same way. To each their own though.