Why do companies insist on making sliding disc packaging? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 PM

Default Why do companies insist on making sliding disc packaging?

Alien Anthology, Star Wars Complete Sagas, The Mel Brooks Collection, and now both the James Bond Collection and Indiana Jones set. Why do companies think sliding disc packaging is a good idea? It scratches the disc every time you slide it out. It was a piss poor idea 5 years ago, it remains a piss poor idea today. I don't have enough D-Skins left to even cover every Bond movie.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:12 PM

Personally, I think the standard Alien Anthology (the US "book" set anyway) is one of the nicest looking regular-retail packages on the blu-ray format.

If you're scratching discs by simply sliding them out of the holder, you're doing something wrong.

And, blu-ray has a protective scratch coating anyway...
Old 07-19-2012, 02:25 PM

I won't support these bad designs with my money even if the scratch resistant coating would be made of diamond strength.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 PM

What is this sliding disc packaging we are talking about?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
What is this sliding disc packaging we are talking about?
It's any disc holder where, instead of snapping the disc onto a plastic spindle through the center hole you slide the disc into a sleeve, usually made of cardboard or other paper product. By design, the spindle tries to keep the readable surface of the disc from contacting the packaging. The sleeve design usually means the readable surface slides against the holder when removing/replacing it, potentially scratching the disc.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Former Member

vibration makes it rub as well. so in transit they can get pretty damaged even new.

i'm not a fan of them. "blu-ray disc scratch protection" doesn't amount for much in my eyes.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
If you're scratching discs by simply sliding them out of the holder, you're doing something wrong.

And, blu-ray has a protective scratch coating anyway...
Tell that to Spaceballs, Alien 3, The Twelve Chairs, and Return of the Jedi.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM

Sorry to dig up a semi-old thread, but I got the Alien Anthology yesterday and three of the discs are scratched. I'm extremely careful with all of my discs (most of my ten year old DVD's still look new) so it was disconcerting to see Blu-ray's have scratch marks just from sliding them out. I immediately put all of them in jewel cases, which is too bad because the book packaging looks really nice.

These are the first Blu-ray's I've ever purchased that have had this problem. At least with Avatar the entire cardboard sleeve was a pull-out, so you could just lift the disc out instead of sliding it. I absolutely loathe studios that put their movies out like this, even more so when it's done with CD's which don't have the protective coating that BD's have.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:42 AM

I love the packaging of Star Wars and Alien(s). Wish they would make more of them. Didn't have any scratches. *Knock on wood*
Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 PM

This kind of packaging is hell on DVDs, that much is certain... But while I do grimace and stifle my rage every time I see a new Blu release using it, I do have to admit I have never seen a Blu scratched by it and clearly the scratch protective coating is to credit. That doesn't mean I like it, but it isn't the deal breaker for Blu that it is for DVD.

Similarly, I freak out whenever a DVD arrives rattling around inside the case and open it immediately to prevent further damage, but when a Blu comes in off the hub I fear not.