'Margaret' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Default 'Margaret' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven has reviewed Kenneth Lonergan's 'You Can Count on Me' follow-up. Was the film worth the 6 year wait? Read his review to find out.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7078/margaret.html
Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 PM

I've seen the regular cut and thought there was a really good movie in there (as the review says) but wonder how the extended cut is? Is it better? Worse?

You say it's in SD, I get that much, but what about the content?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 PM

I've read that the extended cut was a masterpiece. The Fresh Air review also said that. I imagine most people will find it a mess, but with some greatness.

Thanks for the review.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
I've read that the extended cut was a masterpiece. The Fresh Air review also said that. I imagine most people will find it a mess, but with some greatness.

Thanks for the review.
Thanks for the heads up. I am curious what Steve thought of the extended cut though.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvados View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I am curious what Steve thought of the extended cut though.
I didn't find the extended cut to be better or worse, it's just... longer. None of the additional scenes really address or change any of my criticisms, they just slightly flesh out Lisa's relationships (mostly with her mom, Darren, and Paul). The changes don't notably alter the story or intentions, we just get more. The most interesting difference is actually the inclusion of a motif in the sound design where we periodically hear snippets of seemingly trivial background conversations. This really doesn't seem like a case where the director's artistic vision was negatively altered. As far as I can tell, the cuts were simply made for time, and since I think the movie still drags in its truncated form, I believe they were wise edits.

If you really like the theatrical cut, then you'll probably like the extended even more. If you don't really care for the theatrical, then the extended is unlikely to change your mind.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen View Post
I didn't find the extended cut to be better or worse, it's just... longer. None of the additional scenes really address or change any of my criticisms, they just slightly flesh out Lisa's relationships (mostly with her mom, Darren, and Paul). The changes don't notably alter the story or intentions, we just get more. The most interesting difference is actually the inclusion of a motif in the sound design where we periodically hear snippets of seemingly trivial background conversations. This really doesn't seem like a case where the director's artistic vision was negatively altered. As far as I can tell, the cuts were simply made for time, and since I think the movie still drags in its truncated form, I believe they were wise edits.

If you really like the theatrical cut, then you'll probably like the extended even more. If you don't really care for the theatrical, then the extended is unlikely to change your mind.
Thank you for your response.

I felt about the theatrical cut as you did, except I liked it a bit more (probably would have given it a 3.5 instead of a 2.5). It felt very aimless and choppy, with subplots starting (Lisa's situations with Matthew Broderick, Matt Damon, John Gallagher Jr., and Kieran Culkin) but not ending with any sense of closure. I found that very confusing and thought with a longer cut we'd get scenes that give closure to those running subplots. Do we in the extended cut?

The movie is certainly aimless and choppy, but for some reason I keep thinking about the film.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvados View Post
Thank you for your response.

I felt about the theatrical cut as you did, except I liked it a bit more (probably would have given it a 3.5 instead of a 2.5). It felt very aimless and choppy, with subplots starting (Lisa's situations with Matthew Broderick, Matt Damon, John Gallagher Jr., and Kieran Culkin) but not ending with any sense of closure. I found that very confusing and thought with a longer cut we'd get scenes that give closure to those running subplots. Do we in the extended cut?

The movie is certainly aimless and choppy, but for some reason I keep thinking about the film.
There actually is some closure with John Gallagher Jr., and a bit more with Kieran Culkin, but as far as I can remember Broderick and Damon aren't really expanded upon.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen View Post
There actually is some closure with John Gallagher Jr., and a bit more with Kieran Culkin, but as far as I can remember Broderick and Damon aren't really expanded upon.
Ah, very interesting. Thanks for the response! I'll definitely need to give it a shot maybe.