'Singin' in the Rain: 60th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition' - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Default 'Singin' in the Rain: 60th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition' - HDD Review

David Krauss has just reviewed 'Singin' in the Rain: 60th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition.' This is a must read review for a MUST OWN release.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4418..._rain_uce.html
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Seeing as Warner never came through with a digibook (or other) as an exclusive at some retailer, I think I might just go and make my own frankenstein set--the single disc BD (which is considerably cheaper) and disc 2 from my 50th Anniversary DVD in a 2 disc BD case. I gotta have one with a used up/expired digital copy somewhere that I can swap out...

Yeah, I miss out on the collectables and stuff by doing that, but I hate the collectable junk anyway. I've got a few UCEs and I never bother with anything except the discs themselves. And they take up a ton of room.

Luckily, unlike the "Casablanca" re-issue, disc 1 of this has all of the new bonuses, so my combo plan should work and I get the film in HD, with ALL of the extras, minus the bonus SD DVD that I don't want and the huge umbrella and crap that I don't need.

But, man... such a bummer that there's no digi option with discs 1 and 2. I mean, "The Town" gets a digi at Best Buy, and one of the greatest musicals of all time doesn't? Seems wrong.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Well it's possible a digibook could still pop out at some point. Citizen Kane pretty well came out of nowhere since nobody really knew about it until people saw it on shelves. And then other movies like Deliverance showed up quite a bit later. Could never come, but anything is possible.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Well it's possible a digibook could still pop out at some point. Citizen Kane pretty well came out of nowhere since nobody really knew about it until people saw it on shelves. And then other movies like Deliverance showed up quite a bit later. Could never come, but anything is possible.
Deliverance was a new, Digibook-only release for the 40th anniversary. A new version that replaced the earlier disc from 2007.

Kane was on store shelves the same day of release as the UCE. People found it that day on BB shelves.

Most brick-and-mortar retailers aren't even stocking this it seems. I didn't see it at Best Buy today, or Frys. Others have said it wasn't at their local Target or Warmart. Not even the single disc. Maybe the stock was low, the shipment was late, whatever. But, with the state of catalog and B&M slowly dying, I think it's more likely they just weren't ordered. Doubt there'll be an exclusive if the B&Ms aren't even get the regular or UCE skus on their shelves.

A shame. I'll order the single disc from Amazon if another version doesn't surface locally by the end of the week.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Sounds like a must buy and based on the amount of work that probably went in to it, probably well worth the current $75 price tag. I am a believer of heavy sales volume at lower prices versus lower volume at higher prices. It just exposes many more people to a wonderful part of film history. With that being said, the first $39.99 or less sale that happens, I am in.

Or - is the movie only disc Here the same transfer?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Arrived today for me from Amazon, not the Collector's Edition screw that.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
is the movie only disc Here the same transfer?
That's the exact same disc as disc 1 from the more expensive big-box-o-crap edition. Includes commentary, the new HD documentary, trailer and jukebox feature.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 PM

@boston007: You may not like the Collector's Edition but do you have to inadvertently insult those who do with your crude language?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
@boston007: You may not like the Collector's Edition but do you have to inadvertently insult those who do with your crude language?
I didn't insult them. If you want to buy the CE I am fine with that, it wasn't for me. I actually like CE versions of movies but I just thought this one with the umbrella was a bit overdone.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:27 PM

The single disc is $7.99 at Fry's this week!

I got mine yesterday; made my own two-disc release with the new BD and the special features disc from the 50th anniversary DVD.