'Down by Law' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Default 'Down by Law' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron Peck has just reviewed 'Down by Law.' He says this likable art house film has much more comedic value than you might expect. This Blu-ray features absolutely stunning black and white video and great audio (especially for a mono track). Criterion fans will be pleased. Jim Jarmusch fans should be ecstatic. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6934/down_law.html
Old 07-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Tom Waits is awesome.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 PM

I have to ask this because Criterion movies are very hit and miss for me....

I absolutely LOVED "Mystery Train" when I picked it up as a blind buy at the last Criterion sale, so I'd like to check out more Jim Jarmusch films...

However, I absolutely LOATHE Roberto Begnini. That guy just grates on my nerves like no other. I can't even make it half way through "Life is Beautiful."

So, if I liked "Mystery Train" but I hate Roberto Begnini, would "Down By Law" be worth checking out?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:12 PM

There's a lot of Jarmusch influence in this film. A LOT! But, there is also a lot of Begnini. So, you have to make your choice from there. The optimism of his character could only be played by him and he is the same kind of looney happy that he is in 'Life is Beautiful'. I guess as far as you're concerned there are pros and cons, although I'd say check it out before you write it off.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
However, I absolutely LOATHE Roberto Begnini. That guy just grates on my nerves like no other. I can't even make it half way through "Life is Beautiful."

So, if I liked "Mystery Train" but I hate Roberto Begnini, would "Down By Law" be worth checking out?
Yeah, you should still definitely give Down By Law a shot. I personally have no problem with Begnini or Life is Beautiful but can totally see why someone would. If presented with a thorough argument, I'd be stumped to argue against Life is Beautiful being overly-sentimental at best and ingratiatingly cloying at worst.

That being said, Begnini is an actor and, like all actors, his merit is wholly dependent on the capabilities of his director. Here, he's put to good use and works in great contrast to Lurie and Waits' characters.

Plus, if you were keen to the general rhythms and sensibilities of Mystery Train, you owe it to yourself to give Down By Law a shot. I'm a big admirer of Jarmusch and would easily qualify Down By Law as his best, and most defining, film.

Can't wait for this Blu. Day one upgrade.