'Spawn: Director's Cut' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM

Default 'Spawn: Director's Cut' - High-Def Digest Review

In 1997, Todd McFarlane's hugely popular comic book series, 'Spawn,' hit the big screen (though it may have only played on one screen, in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, at 11:30 a.m., on a Tuesday, and no one attended, except for one poor fool, named Biff Bifferson (who said it was OK (he was wrong))). The movie was a massive failure on every level. E gives you the scoop. The Blu-ray is just as friggin' terrible. A rental at best.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/328/spawn_dc.html
Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 PM

It's live now, BTW.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 PM

I still like this movie and even have the soundtrack on bloody red colored vinyl records.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 PM

I use to collect colored vinyl records, still have and play them, but I never knew they released the soundtrack to this movie as such.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM

I'm forced to agree with the reviewer, about the movie anyway. The live action film is a failed effort, especially when compared to the superlative animated series on HBO which was running at about the same time. If they decided to release that on BD, I would most definitely bite.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Eh its bad but I was a huge Spawn fan when this came out and have a soft spot for it, I watch it on occasion and still enjoy it. The FX and makeup for Spawn and the Clown were awesome, the CG was pretty bad, but nothing really out of the ordinary for mid to late 90s, Mortal Kombat had some pretty bad CG as well and it was only a couple years before this, part 2 of MK we wont even talk about But KNB did those makeup jobs and they are always top notch even in a crappy movie such as this, but I still like it

Shame it doesnt get a better transfer though, It did ok at the theaters, pulled in $55 million on only a $40 million budget (no wonder the CG was so bad ) and with over seas it doubled its budget, so I'm surprised that we never got a sequel or that the remake hasnt been getting pushed through quicker, there is supposed to be a new Spawn movie in the works that is R rated, much darker and more violent like the comics, but its been in limbo for quite some time now....
Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 PM

I remember seeing this in the theater on opening day. It was the summer between my junior and senior year in high school. As a fan of the comics when I was younger I was as psyched back then about this movie as I am these days with the likes of the Avengers and the Batman movies. I thought it was cool back then, but I watched it recently on TV and it certainly failed to hold up over time. I remember reading the Fangoria magazine that predicted this movie to be a huge success that would project Michael Jai White into mainstream. Well, he did do Black Dynamite which happens to be one of the most awesome movies ever.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Former Member

spawn the film sucks. we all know this. the CG is terrible, malebolga (or whatever the devil character is) is the most laughable cg creation in HISTORY, and it's really all over hte place. the VIOLATOR, fucking awesome as he is, was done a grave injustice. that said, i LOVED the CLOWN VIOLATOR when i saw this in theaters. LOVED it.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM

I've never seen this movie but I ordered the Blu for $9.99...so I'm hoping it has some redeeming qualities.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
spawn the film sucks. we all know this. the CG is terrible, malebolga (or whatever the devil character is) is the most laughable cg creation in HISTORY, and it's really all over hte place. the VIOLATOR, fucking awesome as he is, was done a grave injustice. that said, i LOVED the CLOWN VIOLATOR when i saw this in theaters. LOVED it.
Yeah, the movie was so disappointing in theatres. I mean, Spawn looked rad in still photos so I was kind of hyped to see him in motion. But the needless CG cape, everything about Clown (he looks completely stupid and his lines are terrible), Michael Jai White's acting, and pretty much everything else all disappointed.

I am kinda tempted to buy it for nostalgia's sake though. Really liked the early Spawn comics.