Why are movies getting speedy releases on video now? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 PM

Default Why are movies getting speedy releases on video now?

Now I'm pre-order for movies that are not out in theater yet and the release date are just a few months away. Are studios really desperate to make money right away? Do they not trust movie ticket sales anymore?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Well I'm not complaining one bit - I don't go to a cinema anymore, because I have my own 3D projection theater in my basement - my front row seating is 9 feet from a 120" screen, and I have almost 5,000 watts of amplifier behind the audio - including butt-shaker transducers in the sofa - so it is as good or better than IMAX 3D... The quicker the movies come out on Blu-ray, the sooner I and all my guests for Monthly Movie Nights get to see them... so bring 'em on!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater3D View Post
Well I'm not complaining one bit - I don't go to a cinema anymore, because I have my own 3D projection theater in my basement - my front row seating is 9 feet from a 120" screen, and I have almost 5,000 watts of amplifier behind the audio - including butt-shaker transducers in the sofa - so it is as good or better than IMAX 3D... The quicker the movies come out on Blu-ray, the sooner I and all my guests for Monthly Movie Nights get to see them... so bring 'em on!
While my system is not as crazy as Frey's, my reasoning is similar.

I would love to go to the theater but I can't deal with the hassles anymore. The lines, the noise, the overpriced food, rude patrons, constant cell phone flashing, etc.

It is just way more comfortable at home.

Actually, sometimes I try waiting till the movie has been out for sometime and go when the theater will have less people.

It's a reason I hate going to IMAX. I have to get there early enough to get a decent seat, wait in like for like an hour. I just don't want to be bothered. My personal opinion of course.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juio View Post
Are studios really desperate to make money right away? Do they not trust movie ticket sales anymore?
Yes and yes. You just answered your own question.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
It's a reason I hate going to IMAX. I have to get there early enough to get a decent seat, wait in like for like an hour. I just don't want to be bothered.
My local IMAX theater has reserved seating. You can pick your seats when you order tickets online.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
My local IMAX theater has reserved seating. You can pick your seats when you order tickets online.
I thought all Imax theaters had that?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 PM

I believe most of the money is made up by the home market now. Manufacturing has made it easy for them to push releases out as they see fit.
Plus, I believe there is some experimentation going on about how the release of a movie at different times of year affects the sales.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
I thought all Imax theaters had that?
Certainly not all - none of the three IMAX theaters in my area have reserved seating... sit where you want - if there's any seats left!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Damn, Josh, lucky you. I am pretty sure mine around here don't offer that. If they did I would surely opt for that! I need to investigate and see if any IMAX around here have that but I believe not.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Piracy. That's also a big part of it.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.