'Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Default 'Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows' - High-Def Digest Review

Robert Downey Jr. has really made the character of Sherlock Holmes his own. This Blu-ray arrives with five star video and audio. One of the best discs released this year. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6697...ows_combo.html
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM

I didn't really enjoy this movie at all and I loved the first one...saw it in the theater when I was tired, gonna pick it up on blu and give it a second look since I'm so fond of Downey Jr and this character.. plus, he and Law have some great chemistry.. This period is really well done also.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
I didn't really enjoy this movie at all and I loved the first one...saw it in the theater when I was tired, gonna pick it up on blu and give it a second look since I'm so fond of Downey Jr and this character.. plus, he and Law have some great chemistry.. This period is really well done also.
Yeah, I enjoyed the first one as well, this one, not so much. Really doesnt compare to the first in structure, the first film was a planned out story from start to finish, Game of Shadows jumps all over the place with no coherent path, the movie is pretty much set up and played out like Holmes's mind, disjointed with no real set direction, I watched this with my wife and parents and they all thought the same, we all enjoyed the first one and this one just meandered all about, the performances were fine as were most of the action and fight scenes, but everything I already mentioned will probably keep me from watching this again, let alone buy it unless its super cheap
Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM

Finally!!! I mean, 6 months for a blu release? Really? It looks like it was worth it though cause this review sounds awesome. Really looking forward to the HD Audio on this one. The first Sherlock is one of the best sounding Blu Rays around. I'm still impressed by it everytime i watch/hear the movie. Cant wait to hear A Game of Shadows. If the audio is anything like the first, which from the review it sounds like it is, it oughta be a gem to watch and listen too in high def.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM

I prefer the 2nd slightly more than the first, though I found Sherlock to occasionally be grating because of his manic personality, which in turn sort of hurt the dynamic that Jude Law and RDJ had in the first.

But Jared Harris was excellent as Moriarty and was a much more menacing presence than Mark Strong ever was in the first film

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 06-11-2012, 05:04 PM

I will say the plot in A Game of Shadows did seem a little too futuristic with all the high-tech weaponry. The first one was a little better at suspense and not knowing what Lord Blackwood's end plan was. But both are still really great.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Will pick this up when the price drops. I loved the first and as CaptainArcher said the period is done well, at least in the first, which I am also a fan of. Actually I don't even think I own the first one so maybe some retailer will do a special duo package on both.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM

wow, thats a terribly sparse set of extra features. is a double dip in the near future? in say some sorta of box set including both movies? because damn, dont think i've ever seen a major release that did well enough in theaters get so little.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
wow, thats a terribly sparse set of extra features. is a double dip in the near future? in say some sorta of box set including both movies? because damn, dont think i've ever seen a major release that did well enough in theaters get so little.
yeah. The extras felt like an afterthought for sure.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM

I think the first one is a better movie, but the last half hour of this movie is really what makes it really good. Everything else is great, but it has way too much action thrown into it.