'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-05-2012, 02:22 PM

Default 'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance' - High-Def Digest Review

We've just reviewed 'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.' Hang on tight, this is gonna be a bumpy ride...

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6700...vengeance.html
Old 06-05-2012, 03:36 PM

I preordered this last week at Best Buy since you got a steelbook. I am not expecting much substance, but with the Crank directors, I do expect some madness. Adding Stringer Bell to cast was also a good move. That being said, not sure I am picking this up next week or not. I guess it depends on how much it is.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
I preordered this last week at Best Buy since you got a steelbook. I am not expecting much substance, but with the Crank directors, I do expect some madness. Adding Stringer Bell to cast was also a good move.
There's really not much madness aside from general raging of why this movie isn't at least popcorn fun. I loved Crank but this movie really doesn't have anything special & towards the end you'll feel like ejecting the disc because the finale is THAT bad. Stringer Bell's performance is just plain weird, aimlessly shouting stuff for no particular reason

BIG skip imo. I 'kind of' liked the first but only for a couple of humourous moments yet this was boring & dull from start to finish
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Man....I'm having a tough time whether to pick this one up. Like backslashio, I kind of liked the first one....the mere visuals of Ghost Rider are awesome. This one looks to be another tour de force in terms of the visuals.

My pickings are a little slim:
John Carter....meh
Journey 2: want it...but at $28 for the 3D version (this week. it will undoubtley be more after this weekend) at BB is a little too damn high
Safe House: probably

And as jnc noted...guess it depends on how much I can get 3D version of Ghost Rider for next week.

Not trying to be an ass here and with all due respect to the reviewer, I dont quite understand how the overall grade for this release is 3.5 out of 5 stars but you give it ''a rental at best''. Just seems a bit contradictory,imo....and a bit confusing to a simpleton like myself,lol.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM

I thought it was entertaining as hell.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:07 PM

I'm a big fan of both the Crank films. I was really excited for this. I love Ghost Rider, I like the directors style, and I'm very forgiving with movies that are meant to be bad or are even just bad but fun. Everything seemed to point towards me enjoying this film.

Big mistake. If your excited to see this just because of the Ghost Rider...prepare to be let down. He is in it for maybe 15-20 minutes? The entire 2nd/beginning of the third act involves Nic Cage losing the ability to become him so then we are left with just Nic Cage. How much fun does that sound?

The 3D was really hard to watch too. If you've seen the Crank movies you know how much the directors like to move the cameras, and trying to focus on the 3D and the zooming in and out and shaking all over is really tough on your eyes. This is the first movie where I regretted seeing it in 3D (I never did see Clash of the Titans though...).

I'd say this is a Rental at best.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 PM

as far as the reboot angle is concerned, i realized this is where they were heading in the opening monologue. the way his father died is and the details of how johnny makes the deal is a little different this time.

anyway i actually liked this but totally get why those who dont feel that way. i imagine many people who liked the first (the "average joe" in particular) will be very turned off by just how different this one is in tone and style.

i pre-ordered the steelbook from futureshop so that'll be fun. i imagine it'll be easy to find and wont sell out but i've been surprised with steelbook sales in the past so i'm not taking chances. lol
Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedbeeninfested View Post
The entire 2nd/beginning of the third act involves Nic Cage losing the ability to become him so then we are left with just Nic Cage. How much fun does that sound?

Is this is trick question?

I want to camp in a haunted Romanian forest with Nic Cage.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Better than the first, but wow, Cage's acting got really bad between movies. Sure, he isn't the greatest actor, but he can do a good job when he wants do, which he did a decent job in the first movie. Here, it was like he decided he did not have to make up for Eva Mendez not being in it, so he didn't care.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM

I though the scene where he's trying to stop the Rider coming out, was hilarious.

This motherfucker was crying out for an R-rating.