'John Carter' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM

Default 'John Carter' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke offers his take on 'John Carter.'

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5573/john_carter.html
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 PM

I really loved John Carter. It wasn't a masterpiece or anything, but it was very fun and entertaining. And Lynn Collins was freaking hot in that movie so I'd watch it again just to see her.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 AM

Ok, this is the review I agree with.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 AM

Loved this film. FilmCrit Hulk's argument that Carter's origin should have been fully revealed much earlier is certainly true, but the movie is a fun, non-stop adventure regardless. All sci-fi and fantasty fans should consider picking it up.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 AM

I was sorely disappointed by John Carter, but then again, I'm a huge fan of the books and I know how good this really could have been. That's not to say I expected some slavish duplicate of the text, but when they leave out whole chunks of great story and character, and replace them with contrived clichés, it's kind've a forehead-slap moment.

Put it this way, imagine 'Star Wars' was a book first. Then take Battlefield Earth, replace the names and settings with those from Star Wars, and voilà! Your movie version! That's about as much similarity in terms of plot, character and quality that John Carter has to the original book. It even makes Starship Troopers feel like a slavish page-for-page rendition of its original book lol!

Heck, Stanton even managed to make it less scientifically accurate!! Burroughs wrote this a hundred years ago, and manages to make his Mars more scientifically accurate and interesting than a film version made after we've sent multiple probes to the planet... hmmm... Something wrong there...

I'd rate it a solid 2 and 1/2 stars out of five. And all of those are for the effects and production design which got quite a few bits right. The script is awkward, the plot points (what exist) are either skimmed for speed or laboured beyond need, and all combine to provide a film that goes from fast forward to slug's-pace again and again without coherence. Just goes to show that Stanton's experience with animation hasn't remotely translated into being able to tell a live-action story with interesting characters or structure (Even when they're provided to him in the source!!). It pretty much stumbled at every hurdle except the effects.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
Put it this way, imagine 'Star Wars' was a book first. Then take Battlefield Earth, replace the names and settings with those from Star Wars, and voilà! Your movie version! That's about as much similarity in terms of plot, character and quality that John Carter has to the original book. It even makes Starship Troopers feel like a slavish page-for-page rendition of its original book lol!
Now that's just hyperbole. I've only read one of the books, but this one certainly lined up with how I remembered and imagined it. Nobody could possibly say the same for Starship Troopers.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Default A sincere apology...

I have been unfairly critical of Luke's reviews in the past and, whilst I largely stand by most of the things said at that time, I want to apologise now for the way in which they were said and to commend Luke for an excellent review of a much derided movie that was more fun than anybody gace it credit for being.

Well done, that man!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloobey View Post
I have been unfairly critical of Luke's reviews in the past and, whilst I largely stand by most of the things said at that time, I want to apologise now for the way in which they were said and to commend Luke for an excellent review of a much derided movie that was more fun than anybody gace it credit for being.

Well done, that man!
Thanks, dude!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Really enjoyed JC. A fun, scifi romp to another world. I am not familiar with the books but hoping somehow (against all the negative backlash) a sequel could be worked up. Would love to revisit Barsoom. Looking forward to the Bluray set.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Just watched this one last night and I rather enjoyed it even on the 2nd viewing. Both the AQ and PQ were outstanding.