'True Blood: The Complete Fourth Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Default 'True Blood: The Complete Fourth Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'True Blood: The Complete Fourth Season.' He says this is where he and the show part ways. The first episode of this season is one of the worst bits of television he has ever watched, and it drags the entire season down with it. The audio and video presentations are fantastic. The actual content? Not so much. A rental
at best.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6644/true_blood_s4.html
Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 PM

The reviewer couldn't be more wrong you can't ruin a season with a bad first ten minutes of a first episode, in fact you can't even ruin the first episode with ten bad minutes (which by the way WERE BAD, but WEREN'T THAT BAD!). The guy just seems hell bent on hating this season even with Fiona Shaw as the very memorable witchy villainess. I'm sorry but his biased opinion won't fly with me.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRightAllTheTime View Post
The reviewer couldn't be more wrong you can't ruin a season with a bad first ten minutes of a first episode, in fact you can't even ruin the first episode with ten bad minutes (which by the way WERE BAD, but WEREN'T THAT BAD!). The guy just seems hell bent on hating this season even with Fiona Shaw as the very memorable witchy villainess. I'm sorry but his biased opinion won't fly with me.
I thought the season was pretty good overall with the exception of most of the fairy stuff. It just doesn't really fit in with the show. I don't think it "drags the rest of the season down " though. It's pretty much never even mentioned again!
Either way, I've found to never put much stock into personal opinions on shows/movies. I basically just look at how the PQ/AQ is and use my own taste to decide if something is worth it. They gave pretty much the same review for Season 3, and also once again mentioned the sex, etc. The sex doesn't bother me, not sure why it's an issue. It is a pay channel and it's not a show for kids.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRightAllTheTime View Post
The guy just seems hell bent on hating this season even with Fiona Shaw as the very memorable witchy villainess. I'm sorry but his biased opinion won't fly with me.
Not the case. I loved every other season, but this season has jumped the shark, or the fairy, or the fairy shark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
The sex doesn't bother me, not sure why it's an issue. It is a pay channel and it's not a show for kids.
IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME EITHER! I have been watching 'True Blood' this whole time.

"Season fourů well, season four feels like 'The Vampire Diaries' with more swearing and sex."

Where in the world does that sentence say I'm against sex in the series? All it says is that there's nothing that separates this season of the show from the crappy melodramatic witch/werewolf/vampire/magic crap of 'The Vampire Diaries' except that. Don't read something that isn't there.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
I thought the season was pretty good overall with the exception of most of the fairy stuff. It just doesn't really fit in with the show. I don't think it "drags the rest of the season down " though. It's pretty much never even mentioned again!
Either way, I've found to never put much stock into personal opinions on shows/movies. I basically just look at how the PQ/AQ is and use my own taste to decide if something is worth it. They gave pretty much the same review for Season 3, and also once again mentioned the sex, etc. The sex doesn't bother me, not sure why it's an issue. It is a pay channel and it's not a show for kids.
I concur. Much less so than movies, I rarely put stock in other's opinion's for TV shows. And people should likewise do the same with my tastes. Some people find some shows hilarious, thrilling, or awesome, others the exact opposite.

I will say this though, I wouldn't watch a show about friggin' vampires and werewolves and complain about fantasy creatures....

Not sure if faeries were in the books or not. Bought the series for my wife, I'll ask her.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Not the case. I loved every other season, but this season has jumped the shark, or the fairy, or the fairy shark...

IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME EITHER! I have been watching 'True Blood' this whole time.

"Season fourů well, season four feels like 'The Vampire Diaries' with more swearing and sex."

Where in the world does that sentence say I'm against sex in the series? All it says is that there's nothing that separates this season of the show from the crappy melodramatic witch/werewolf/vampire/magic crap of 'The Vampire Diaries' except that. Don't read something that isn't there.
Alrighty then.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM

I didn't like season 4 simply because they've gone so far off from the books, where that part of the books was a very cool and interesting storyline, that I couldn't even watch the show. Especially when they killed off one, very important particular fairy. Plus they've made the fairies seem evil, which they never were in the books. No thanks. Either follow the books, or find better writers, simple as that.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 PM

I'm with Aaron here, loved the first 3 seasons, couldnt wait for season 4 to see how this all played out, watched that first episode and the series officially stopped for me, if that was where things were going to from then on, I wasnt going to bother anymore and it looks like I was right except for a couple of episodes. Needless to say I've lost complete interest in this show and wont be watching anymore of it.

I'll stick with Supernatural, even this WB show has better writing and characters and kick ass stuff going on than something on HBO
Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 PM

It wasn't just the fairies. The love triangle situation was overly ridiculous this season, even for True Blood, and I think it made everything else seem even more absurd. That said, the season wasn't a total loss, I did enjoy the witch storyline and seeing Bill as the king.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Yeah the whole Eric/Bill thing wreaks of the Angel/Spike love triangle from Buffy the Vampire Slayer... right down to the fucking hair color. Which was a bad plotline in that show, it's even worse ripped off here. It was much more interesting when Eric just wanted her and she was genuinly disgusted by him.

For me the show has been downhill since season 2, I found the evil chick really annoying. I love the sex in the show, I never get tired of Anna Paquin naked, and this season finally got the smoldering hot Deborah Ann Woll naked, must give it credit for that!