'Chronicle' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Default 'Chronicle' - High-Def Digest Review

E has just reviewed 'Chronicle.' He says this is a really entertaining film. This Blu-ray features excellent video and near reference quality audio. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6693/chronicle.html
Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 PM

This movie will proudly sit next to Cloverfield.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 PM

I really wanted to like this movie. I heard all these positive reviews about how great it was and then I found myself a little disappointed. Spoilers follow! I marked the major ones and the others are in the previews...

I get that Andrew had a bad childhood and is kind of an outcast,
Spoiler
but then he just decides to kill his friend (perhaps it was by accident). If that wasn't enough he just decides to turn on his cousin and destroy an entire town.

The movie was appealing because it asked what if kids got super powers. How would they handle it? Then it just turned into a generic third act with the "villain" looking into the camera menacingly while using his mind to crush a car.

I honestly just wanted to tell Andrew to man up and stop whining. I guess I'll give it a rent and see if my opinion improves but as I remember leaving the theater expecting better.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedbeeninfested View Post
I really wanted to like this movie. I heard all these positive reviews about how great it was and then I found myself a little disappointed. Spoilers follow! I marked the major ones and the others are in the previews...

I get that Andrew had a bad childhood and is kind of an outcast, [SPOILER]but then he just decides to kill his friend (perhaps it was by accident). If that wasn't enough he just decides to turn on his cousin and destroy an entire town.

The movie was appealing because it asked what if kids got super powers. How would they handle it? Then it just turned into a generic third act with the "villain" looking into the camera menacingly while using his mind to crush a car.

I honestly just wanted to tell Andrew to man up and stop whining. I guess I'll give it a rent and see if my opinion improves but as I remember leaving the theater expecting better.
My wife and I had the same reaction to the movie and totally agree with this assessment. You have to endure what seems like endless scenes of teen angst before anything significant happens.

We wanted to like the movie but it just took too long to get there.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazr View Post
My wife and I had the same reaction to the movie and totally agree with this assessment. You have to endure what seems like endless scenes of teen angst before anything significant happens.

We wanted to like the movie but it just took too long to get there.
Wouldnt be much of a movie if there was no build up, the character arc for Andrew was great IMO, it really showed what and how he finally snapped, this does happen in real life you know, kids get picked on so bad, abused at home and they end up killing people, I think it was a way of making people see how real life does affect some people while turning into a super hero flick with a lot more character and realism to it. I was hooked as soon as the movie started, I really like these "hidden footage" type films and I was with the characters the whole way. This teen angst was easy to deal with over something so fake like Twilight, I felt bad for Andrew throughout this whole thing and even though I knew where it was going, it was sad to see him lose it, it was sad to see how he was treated by the kids at school and by his father and it really worked into molding the villain he was to become.

Needless to say I cant wait for the sequel
Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Wouldnt be much of a movie if there was no build up, the character arc for Andrew was great IMO, it really showed what and how he finally snapped, this does happen in real life you know, kids get picked on so bad, abused at home and they end up killing people, I think it was a way of making people see how real life does affect some people while turning into a super hero flick with a lot more character and realism to it. I was hooked as soon as the movie started, I really like these "hidden footage" type films and I was with the characters the whole way. This teen angst was easy to deal with over something so fake like Twilight, I felt bad for Andrew throughout this whole thing and even though I knew where it was going, it was sad to see him lose it, it was sad to see how he was treated by the kids at school and by his father and it really worked into molding the villain he was to become.

Needless to say I cant wait for the sequel
I can agree, I wasn't shocked on how Andrew turned into the villain. If a kid gained the same powers and was in the same situation as Andrew I can totally see how things could get out of hand.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 PM

I really enjoyed this one as well. Part of that was because I'd seen a preview long ago and forgotten about it. Just watching it without knowing anything about it I think makes for a more fun experience, didn't know where they were going with it.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:32 PM

Loved the film. The slow buildup is absolutely worth it, as the film's as much about the characters as it is the climax.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 PM

I found this to be one of your better "found footage" movies because it doesn't deal with characters watching awesome events happening but they themselves are the awesome events happening.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Loved the film. The slow buildup is absolutely worth it, as the film's as much about the characters as it is the climax.
Exactly...I cannot believe people can complaint about that. Is this the society with live in that we just want to start the movie and want things to go to hell right away? I think it was done right to show where things are coming from and why they turned out how they did. Simple logic and I liked the movie for sure.