Darwin the Voyage that Shook the World Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Banned

Default Darwin the Voyage that Shook the World Blu-ray

Darwin the Voyage that Shook the World Blu-ray

** This Blu-ray title is mainly for those people that disagree with the theory of evolution **

(Expelled : No Intelligence Allowed is another Blu-ray that is pro Creation faith based movie documentary).

It’s difficult to keep up with all the Christian and faith based Blu-ray titles that have been released from various studios and ministries. I only have time to create posts for select Christian titles and not every title that has been released.

According to my research Darwin : The Voyage that Shook the World was released on Blu-ray on June 28th of 2011 (UPC code: 678570100156, all region worldwide Blu-ray, 2.0 Dolby Digital).

Quote from Creation Ministries International:
“The actual documentary was released in April 2009 and the Blu-ray discs were made available in June 2011.”

This “Darwin : The Voyage that Shook the World” Blu-ray documentary according to one online source had a budget of over 1 million dollars. The movie is an Australian documentary that was shown in theaters in Australia. Creation Ministries International commissioned Fathom Media to produce and distribute the 55-minute film (Exploration films offers the Blu-ray version).

The US Blu-ray version can be purchased for $27.95 directly from Creation Ministries International or it can be found on Amazon and EBAY for under $20 brand new. Amazon prices can change daily but currently a brand new version of the Blu-ray movie can be found online from an Amazon dealer for $15.10 plus shipping.

The following is a quote from Creation Ministries International website:

“In 1831 a young amateur scientist, Charles Darwin, boarded HMS Beagle on an epic five-year voyage of discovery.

2009 marked the 200th anniversary of Darwin’s birth and the 150th anniversary of the publication of his book, ‘Origin of Species’. The Voyage that Shook the World retraces Darwin’s journey, exploring the places and discoveries crucial to the formulation of his Theory of Evolution.

Filmed with High Definition (HD) cameras in South America, UK, North America, Australia and Europe, The Voyage features dramatic period recreations and stunning nature cinematography interwoven with scholars sharing their perspectives on the man and the controversy.

A fascinating and thought-provoking opportunity to gain new insight into The Voyage that Shook the World.

Special features include:
  • The making of The Voyage
  • Extended interviews
  • Director’s introduction
  • Trailer
  • About CMI
Subtitles: Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Chinese (traditional script), Chinese (simplified script), Czech, Danish, English (for hearing-impaired), Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Vietnamese
Format: Blu-ray
Audience: Junior High–Adult
Product Code: 30-4-500 "

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 05-12-2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Changed Dolby Digital to 2.0 since jacket incorrectly lists 5.1 Dolby Digital
Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Banned

Default This might be the last Blu-ray title released by Creation Ministries International

This might be the last Blu-ray title released by Creation Ministries International

During my phone conversation with Creation Ministries International recently, I asked them when they were going to offer some more Blu-ray titles since under their Blu-ray category is only the Darwin : The Voyage that Shook the World Blu-ray. To my surprise I was informed that possible this might be the last Blu-ray title that they are going to offer since the demand has been very low compared to the standard 480i DVD releases.

The Darwin : The Voyage that Shook the World was Creation Ministries International’s test title to see if there was a demand for Creationist videos in high-definition quality. The problem with using this Darwin video as a test title is the fact that it is not a new release. It was released on the 480i DVD format back on October 6th 2009 and then a high definition Blu-ray version was released on June 28th 2011. Of course the DVD version is going to sell much better if it was released almost 2 years earlier. In addition, another problem is many people never knew this Blu-ray was even released on June 28th 2011. A true accurate test, to test the demand for Creation Blu-ray titles is to release a completely new title on both Blu-ray and DVD the same day and wait 6 months to see what the demand is for a new release.

So for those consumers that want to see future young earth creationist HD Blu-rays from Creation Ministries International I would strongly recommend people vote with their wallets and purchase this Darwin : The Voyage that Shook the World on Blu-ray.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 AM

Wait, what? A "Creationist Ministry" is going to release a Darwin Blu-ray?

Really?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Banned

I have not received the Blu-ray yet, but it looks at Darwin’s Voyage and the theory of evolution from a Creationist perspective.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 AM

I'm actually tempted, only to see what the argument or claim is from a Creationist perspective. But at that price, the temptation quickly vanishes.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 05-04-2012, 03:36 AM

"a controversy that still rages today" lmao
Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM

I'm interested in the disc based on the title, but I can't read the OP due to ridiculous font colors, styles and formatting.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Well if the film endorses young-earth creationism I won't be buying it. However statements made by the historians interviewed for the film say it was 'clearly intended to challenge evolution, but stops short of openly endorsing the more extreme alternatives favored by some creationists.' So it MIGHT leave room in for in my mind the much more reasonable Christian views of old-earth creationism/theistic evolution (though CMI is young earth so kinda doubt it.) Hopefully can find a rental though netflix or blockbuster or pick it up online cheap somewhere.

Last edited by djwcaw; 05-04-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

I purchased the “Darwin: The Voyage that Shook the World” Blu-ray version. When I receive it and if I make time, I might write a brief review on the video and audio quality.

The following is a quote from an email I received today from Creation Ministries International. It clarifies that Fathom Media is no longer the distributor of the movie on home video. Instead Exploration Films is now the distributor of the Blu-ray and DVD version.

Quote from an email:

“…Creation Ministries International did produce the documentary and Exploration Films is now the distributor of the DVD and Blu-ray versions of the documentary.”
Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Banned

Darwin: The Voyage that Shook the World Blu-ray (a brief review)

(This science video looks at two different worldviews of origins)

This Australian made movie documentary is considered in the secular world to be low budget, however with a budget of over 1 million US dollars this movie documentary was very professionally done. The Darwin: The Voyage that Shook the World is mainly a science video that looks at two different worldviews. The video interviews many Professors and Scientist. 12 of the people in the video have PH.D’s and degrees from well-known Universities including Harvard.

This Darwin Blu-ray is very fair when comparing the two different worldviews. One worldview shown in the video is Darwin’s theory of evolution and an earth that is several millions of years old. The other worldview in the movie documentary mentions that some PH.D scientists believe in Creation with a young earth several thousands of years old as described in the historical Genesis record.

Source equipment used to review the video and audio

My first and second viewing of the program was on a 50 inch Pioneer PRO-101FD connected to a Pioneer VSX-33 A/V receiver with a 7.1 surround sound speaker system setup. Blu-ray player used was an OPPO BDP-93. The Pioneer PR0-101FD displayed the Darwin 1080P 24Hz source material at 72Hz using a 3:3 pulldown method. The Pioneer was set for Dot by Dot.

Video quality

Before watching the movie I placed the professionally stamped Darwin Blu-ray disc in my computer BD-ROM drive. The Darwin Blu-ray disc ended up being a single layer disc with 22.3GB used out of 25GB. The Darwin Blu-ray main program is 16:9 ratio (1:78:1). Literally 100% of the disc including all bonus features is 1080P at 24Hz with MPEG-4/AVC being used. Also the 24Hz being used is not 23.976 fps like many film based discs. The OPPO BDP-93 reported a frame rate of exactly 1080P at 24.000Hz for the entire disc and menus.

This Darwin documentary movie was shot using a Panasonic HD camera. For many scenes in the Darwin documentary high bit rate MPEG-4/AVC was used with some scenes peaking as high as 44.1Mbit/s for combined video and audio (While other fast moving scenes used around 25 to 35 Mbit/s).

The scenic HD footage in South America, UK, North America, Australia, and Europe looked very good with the mid to high bit rate MPEG-4/AVC encode. Also during the interviews, one could see very fine detail resolution from people’s faces with accurate color. The HD source material looked excellent along with the professional Blu-ray video encode.

Audio quality

I am aware that there are some low budget documentaries in the world that contain a 2.0 or 5.1 Dolby Digital lossy audio track. The weakest part of this movie documentary is the audio quality. The 5.1 Dolby Digital audio track listed on the back of the Blu-ray jacket is wrong audio information. This Darwin Blu-ray disc only contains one audio track, and that audio track is English 2.0 Dolby Digital at 48k. The Darwin stereo lossy audio track was ok for a documentary. The ideal movie documentary on Blu-ray should have a lossless audio track like PCM, DTS-HD Master audio, or Dolby TrueHD (I have seen some Blu-ray documentaries with 5.1 lossless audio tracks). Under the language menu there is a total of 18 different subtitle languages on the Blu-ray disc including English subtitles. This Blu-ray is all regions and is being sold in many different countries.

The Darwin Blu-ray disc is really around 121 minutes in length if one watches everything on the disc

This Blu-ray disc is organized in 11 different chapters for the main program which can be accessed directly in the Chapters menu. All menus and everything on the disc is 1080P quality.

1. The Darwin Blu-ray main program is 54 minutes and 25 seconds.

Extra features are all MPEG-4/AVC 1080P encodes:

2. “Introduction from Director Steve Murray” (33 seconds running time).

3. “Extended Interviews” menu takes one to a sub menu:

a. Phil Currie: “Red blood cells in dinosaur bones”(lasts 1 minute and 50 seconds).

b. Phil Currie: “Not seeing Dinosaur footprints” (lasts 1 minute and 24 seconds).

c. Stuart Burgess: “The human knee joint” (lasts 1 minute and 54 seconds).

d. Stuart Burgess: “Darwin and the Peacock’s tail” (lasts 2 minutes and 59 seconds).

e. Alvin Plantinga: “Science and religion” (lasts 2 minutes and 18 seconds).

f. Emil Silvestru: “The fossil trees and geology at Uspallata” (lasts 3 minutes and 45 seconds).

g. Emil Silvestru: “The monument to Darwin at Uspallata” (58 seconds running time).

h. Tapio Puolimatka: “Getting it wrong” (lasts 1 minute and 54 seconds).

i. Cornelius Hunter: “Rationalism VS Empiricism” (lasts 1 minute and 3 seconds).

j. Cornelius Hunter: ”What Darwin would think today” (lasts 1 minute and 41 seconds).

k. Dr Peter Borger: “Naturalist VS Creationist science” (lasts 3 minutes).

l. Dr Peter Borger: “The problem of Paradigm” (lasts 1 minute and 33 seconds).

m. Janet Browne: ““Best seller” status of Origin of the Species” (lasts 1 minute and 25 seconds).

n. Peter Bowler: “”RACISM” and other human rights issues” (lasts 5 minutes and 35 seconds).

4. “Behind the Scenes” (lasts 15 minutes and 10 seconds).

5. “Boat blooper on the Rio Santa Cruz” (lasts 1 minute and 53 seconds).

6. “Comments from Carl Wieland, executive producer” ( lasts 7 minutes and 35 seconds).

7. “About Creation Ministries International” (lasts 2 minutes and 44 seconds). Even though this is encoded at 1080P quality it looks like it was scaled from a 480i SD source to 1080P since the image is letterbox inside a 4:3 ratio instead of true 16:9 widescreen.

8. “Jonathan Sarfati talks about “Science” and “Human VS APE DNA” (lasts 2 minutes and 10 seconds).

9. “Trailer” (lasts 2 minutes and 48 seconds).

10. “More info” contains website information to study guides and more information about the film.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 05-12-2012 at 07:14 AM.