'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1' Coming July 24 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1' Coming July 24

Exciting news! Still no word on pricing yet though.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5230...ek_tng_s1.html

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

We've sort of become spoiled with Blu-Ray, many sets come out less expensive than when they were on dvd, here's to guessing between $60-80 per season on street date. I seem to recall the dvd sets were over $100 on street date.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
We've sort of become spoiled with Blu-Ray, many sets come out less expensive than when they were on dvd, here's to guessing between $60-80 per season on street date. I seem to recall the dvd sets were over $100 on street date.
I can only hope they're about that price. $100+ a season is way too much to pay. I remember the DVD seasons were as much as $120 or more.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM

I'm sorry but I could never justify paying that much for a season of this or any other show, Paramount has always been ridiculous on their season pricing, especially for Star Trek and honestly there is no reason these should even come close to costing that much, its an old show, thats still in reruns, thats already had a DVD release, these should come out at like $50 a pop, its a catalog title for goodness sake, if they were priced at that, I MIGHT consider adding these into my collection as I never got to see a lot of the seasons of this one. But in general I almost never purchase TV shows as I dont rewatch most of them again, and when they cost this much, its even more reason not to pick them up, plus not having the time to revisit a series like this doesnt help either, too much other stuff to watch that I havent seen before
Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
I'm sorry but I could never justify paying that much for a season of this or any other show, Paramount has always been ridiculous on their season pricing, especially for Star Trek and honestly there is no reason these should even come close to costing that much, its an old show, thats still in reruns, thats already had a DVD release, these should come out at like $50 a pop, its a catalog title for goodness sake, if they were priced at that, I MIGHT consider adding these into my collection as I never got to see a lot of the seasons of this one. But in general I almost never purchase TV shows as I dont rewatch most of them again, and when they cost this much, its even more reason not to pick them up, plus not having the time to revisit a series like this doesnt help either, too much other stuff to watch that I havent seen before
Well, in this case the work that is going into restoring the show justifies a higher than normal cost. I'm not saying $100 or more is reasonable but for an hour long show having the money put into it that it is, I don't find $80 too outrageous.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 AM

This would be good news, but it probably has a low SRP of $149.99. Why? Because Star Trek is a rip off. I will not buy anything Star Trek until they are on sale for under $40.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 AM

I'll wait until the seasons are below $50 a pop like I did with the Twilight Zone Blu-Ray seasons...
Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
CBS has sunk a lot of money restoring every one of these episodes from the original camera negatives. That money will have to be recouped somehow.

People seem to lose perspective when it comes to TV box sets. Season 1 of Star Trek TNG had 26 episodes. At about 50 minutes each, that's almost 22 hours of content, or the equivalent of 11 movies. Plus a whole bunch of brand new bonus features that CBS commissioned for the set.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
People seem to lose perspective when it comes to TV box sets. Season 1 of Star Trek TNG had 26 episodes. At about 50 minutes each, that's almost 22 hours of content, or the equivalent of 11 movies. Plus a whole bunch of brand new bonus features that CBS commissioned for the set.
That doesn't change the fact that it's a catalog TV season and it has to compete with other catalog TV seasons on the shelf. CBS can explain their pricing however they want to and the explanation could be entirely valid, but there's a precedent set for this kind of product in the market and that's still the bottom line.

I think the issue here is that people haven't lost perspective on TV boxsets. Their perspective comes from years and years of releases with price-points that make the Star Trek sets appear very expensive.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 PM

to those who already have the dvd sets, are any of those extras listed repeats or is this all the new stuff they promised? just curious and assuming its all new, i wonder if they'll port over the dvd stuff.