'The Grey' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM

Default 'The Grey' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael Palmer has just reviewed 'The Grey.' He says this movie sticks with you, and it only improves with repeat viewings. This Blu-ray features faithful audio and video transfers. Extras are a bit of a disappointment. Overall, this is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6638/the_grey.html
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM

Had high hopes for this, but was unfortunately underwhelmed with the totally unconvincing CGI wolves, the constant closeups of actors' faces, surprising lack of tension (given the dark, brooding visuals), and general lack of hidef eye candy footage (given the alpine backdrop). I found 'The Edge' (1997) a much more intelligent & compelling film. It featured gorgeous cinematography that made it such a joy to watch in hidef.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM

Man, I still want to see this movie. I'll have to catch it on Blu-ray for sure. I love when Liam Neeson beats things up. Especially wildlife.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 05-01-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post
Had high hopes for this, but was unfortunately underwhelmed with the totally unconvincing CGI wolves, the constant closeups of actors' faces, surprising lack of tension (given the dark, brooding visuals), and general lack of hidef eye candy footage (given the alpine backdrop). I found 'The Edge' (1997) a much more intelligent & compelling film. It featured gorgeous cinematography that made it such a joy to watch in hidef.
+1
The Edge is a great man vs. man vs. environment flick, My goto flick for great acting/story visuals.
I found The Grey too... "man coming to terms with himself" for my taste. It had potential, but ends up being a bunch of men "crying" too much....
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 AM

I loved this film but have no plans to purchase it. Way too bleak for repeated viewings for me. But Liam was outstanding as was the rest of the cast. May have to rent it since I did miss the little clip after the credits.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post
totally unconvincing CGI wolves
wow, I didn't need to hear anymore than that. pass!! The Edge is a great movie, love to hear others like it as well.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
wow, I didn't need to hear anymore than that. pass!! The Edge is a great movie, love to hear others like it as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALOI63X_CE
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Wow...??? 4 and 1/2 stars??? You must have been watching a different movie. It was boring, lack of any good story line, one of Liam's worst movies, - maybe 1 and 1/2 stars. CGI - was laughable - it was lick or like watching Team Edward chasing Liam through the woods.

Last edited by Maddog; 05-03-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Count me in as another fan of The Edge. Great flick that I need to see again....forgot about it it's been so long so thanks abientcafe and thejnc for reminding me of that.

As far as The Grey goes, probably a blind buy for me...but not a day 1. Look forward to seeing this one.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM

Yeah, The Edge is great. Still haven't seen The Grey, but I'd like to eventually.