Batman Begins [Blu-ray]??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-26-2006, 10:37 PM

Default Batman Begins [Blu-ray]???

Sorry, I know this is the debate area, but the other areas are dead.

So I will ask:

Does anyone know if WB has given a rough street date for the Blu-Ray version of Batman Begins?

I own it on HD-dvd right now and everything else I have is blu-ray. I def prefer to watch my movies over HDMI versus VGA cable.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

S
Old 12-26-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sascha23 View Post

So I will ask:

Does anyone know if WB has given a rough street date for the Blu-Ray version of Batman Begins?

It is listed as date pending, meaning that it has not been officially announced.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:13 AM

Maybe late 2007 to 2008. The first gen Blu-ray players only have one video decoder, and IME requires two, which aren't expected until mid 2007. HD DVD had two decoders standard from the start. Warner said they wouldn't release the Blu-ray versions until they can offer the same experience as the HD DVD versions. Hence why all their recent releases have no IME and are on both formats.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:45 AM

I already have a HD-DVD player(360 add on), and think the quality is first rate.
I have always planned on getting a Blu-Ray player (PS3), when available in the UK next year.
I am no sony fan, and all 3 PS2's I have owned over the last 5 years have been given away or sold(last one went a year in box without being used).
Only real intention of buying PS3 was for BD player.

Quick question though, would I be correct in saying the PS3 only has 1 decoder, and as such is incapable of playing any IME features if and when they come to BD?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:03 AM

Default No

The PS3 is a fully functional (and top rated) BD player. You will be able to play all upcoming BDs as they continue to enhance them in size and various formats.

Hope this clarifies.

Oh and pertaining to the above comment regarding being thankful for HD-dvd: I'm always thankful for competition. It creates a better product from both parties.

S
Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 AM

Let me understand somethings. What is IME? Furthermore, does the early BD lack of it imply that future movies will not play on the early $1000 stand-alone players?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:45 AM

Yeah, Batman Begins isn't on blu-ray because blu-ray can't emulate the (awesome) IME.

IME is where when you hit and extras feature, that feature begins to play right there in the corner of the screen WHILE THE MOVIE IS STILL PLAYING. Some movies attach the feature directly to the scene you're watching.

Universal does something similar. Theres a cool feature on Miami Vice where you have these little icons in the corner. When something to be focused on comes onscreen, on of the icons light up. Click it and a bunch of information about whats onscreen comes up (equipment uses, locational data, even a cool-as GPS layout when the planes and cars are traveling).

To my knowledge, blu-ray can't emulate these cool features for some reason.

And PLEASE quit it with this HDMI wang-waving. Seriously, it's the most overrated thing in home entertainment now. We know you're a blu-ray fan. We know blu-ray fans are threatened by the 360 add-on and use HDMI as some sort of "trump card" over it. you can stop now. I love how people swear they can tell the difference too (I actually fooled a Sony fanboy into thinking he was watching an HDMI picture when it was actually component. I'll tell that story in another thread).

Last edited by StarkyLuv; 12-27-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:45 AM

That was my point exactly. If IME comes to BD and requires 2 decoders what does that mean for those with early models. Either incompatibility with first gen players or just that IME features would be unavailable.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sascha23 View Post
That is not true. And posting things in the wrong section just so you get more attention is not very cool.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:56 AM

all the IME I know about are lame and I have been told buggy the second video being vary choppy and, does changing the color of a car make the movie better?