Default 'The Wicker Tree' - High-Def Digest Review

Dreadful.

But...
...the review is a must read.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6546/wicker_tree.html
Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 AM

Hi Aaron...

Have you seen the original Wicker Man with Edward Woodward, by chance?

I only ask because that, too, was a horror film without any horror, had lots of random sex and orgy's (that had context in terms of the islanders' beliefs), and yet was an unforgettable experience by the film's end.

You make not a single reference to the cult classic in your review, for which The Wicker Tree serves as a sequel/follow-up. Not that Nic Cage turd, mind you, but the true original.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
Hi Aaron...

Have you seen the original Wicker Man with Edward Woodward, by chance?

I only ask because that, too, was a horror film without any horror, had lots of random sex and orgy's (that had context in terms of the islanders' beliefs), and yet was an unforgettable experience by the film's end.

You make not a single reference to the cult classic in your review, for which The Wicker Tree serves as a sequel/follow-up. Not that Nic Cage turd, mind you, but the true original.
I haven't seen it, but 'Wicker Tree' is directed by Robin Hardy who directed the original. Just knowing he's involved makes me never want to see or have anything to do with the original.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Former Member

Before I get to read this review, I'm only in if there are lots of bees, some of which get in your eyes, or men in bear suits punching women and flat out brawling them, pondering the important questions in life, like how items became burned.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM

I will never see The Wicker Tree and have no desire, but how can you review a sequel without seeing the original? Especially when the original is an absolute, undisputed classic?

Last edited by JAWoOKIE; 04-18-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 AM

An absolute undisputed classic ?

I dispute that.

Maybe it's a classic if you're a doolally retarded illiterate country bumpkin inbred bitch who lives in sin in rural Gloucestershire with Fred West's descendants.

Probably somewhere in the Forest Of Dean
Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 AM

That's really unfortunate. I love the '70s Wicker Man but it sounds like Hardy tried to make lightning strike twice and failed with this one.

Wicker Man walked a tight rope by cramming in clashing cultures, musical numbers, unabashed sexual content and quirky towns folk all while struggling to maintain suspense before its unforgettable climax. Is it a perfect film? Not really.

It is one of my favorites though, just because of how much of it stays with you. A lot of that has to do with some memorable, haunting music (not including the opening theme that gets repeated too much) and the last act of the film. It is is certainly a unique experience that didn't deserve to be defiled by the remake.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 PM

i havent seen the original but planned on it here soon as i heard he was doing this sequel, while i had a good idea about an ending like this based on the synopsis, its still in really poor taste to spoil an ending like that no matter how much you hate the film, i certainly hope you refrain from doing this in the future
Old 04-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
i havent seen the original but planned on it here soon as i heard he was doing this sequel, while i had a good idea about an ending like this based on the synopsis, its still in really poor taste to spoil an ending like that no matter how much you hate the film, i certainly hope you refrain from doing this in the future
Ditto.
No one "critically" liked Nick Cage's The Wicker Man remake (which I haven't seen in a long while), but I enjoyed it. Not a masterpiece by any sense, but decent.

It's really childish to write a review that says, essentially, "I really, really, really didn't like this movie ...and neither should you...so guess how it ends? --I'll tell you! --See how bad it is?":shamebag1:
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonous View Post
Ditto.
No one "critically" liked Nick Cage's The Wicker Man remake (which I haven't seen in a long while), but I enjoyed it. Not a masterpiece by any sense, but decent.

It's really childish to write a review that says, essentially, "I really, really, really didn't like this movie ...and neither should you...so guess how it ends? --I'll tell you! --See how bad it is?":shamebag1:
Some may think it's childish. I think it's the ultimate way a reviewer can say fuck you to a film he was miserable watching. If done excessively or repeatedly, I'd agree with you, but come on, this is out of the blue and pretty funny if you ask me. It didn't even scare me away from watching it, though I'll be imagining bees and bear suits the entire time.