'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM

Default 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979)' - High-Def Digest Review

E has just reviewed the original BBC adaptation of 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979).'
This recommended. Read our review to find out why!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6520/tinker_spy_79.html
Old 04-16-2012, 11:31 PM

It's SIR Alec Guinness...if you please
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 PM

Would like to know how this compares to the movie version...
Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoody View Post
It's SIR Alec Guinness...if you please
And the sir matters why?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Because he earned it.

The TV series is much deeper and better (slower) paced than the film, has a real grimey 70s feel to it - it is not in anyway stylised or flash like the film. I also think as a whole the actors are better in the series - the film has an amazing cast but the TV series is something else.

It's tragic they didn't release this as the UK 7 part, it's sped up from 50hz to 60hz, and the sound is lossy. I would like to see a comparison with the UK DVDs. If you can handle PAL you can get both this and the sequel series, Smiley's People, uncut from the UK for ~10.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I would say that this is the superior version.

Both have excellent casts and scripts but this version, by dint of being spread over 7 episodes (in the UK at least), allows so much more time to cover the important bits of the plot.

For example, the shooting of Jim Prideaux is cut down a bit in the 1979 version when compared to the novel, but in the movie version it just flies by.

Also I prefer the BBC's versions of Smiley, Control, Bill Hayden, Ricki Tarr, Peter Guillam etc.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spader View Post
The TV series is much deeper and better (slower) paced than the film, has a real grimey 70s feel to it - it is not in anyway stylised or flash like the film.
To be fair, I'd say the film has "a real grimy '70's feel to it", as well.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM

TV series has an authentic 70s grimy feel to it, since it actually was filmed with a fairly low budget on 16 mm in the 1970s!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spader View Post
It's tragic they didn't release this as the UK 7 part, it's sped up from 50hz to 60hz, and the sound is lossy.
Conversion from 50 Hz to 60 Hz results in a slight slow down, not speed-up. Generally speaking, the slow down is less noticable than PAL speed-up.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Default Vastly Superior to the recent film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Forget the recent film compared to this version, EastX. The BBC version of "Tinker, Tailor" evokes le Carre's wonderful book more closely than any filmed adaptation I've seen of any novel. If you've read the novel, watching this is almost like re-reading it, but with brilliant acting and staging.

Regarding its superiority to the recent film, Colin Firth managed to make Bill Haydon a nonentity. But in this version, Ian Richardson as Haydon nearly nicks the film from Sir Alec. This Bill Haydon's charm is epic.

This production is high on my list of the greatest works of fiction I've had the pleasure to experience on the screen or the stage.