Sony Pictures could stop releasing movies on the 480i DVD format to save money - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Banned

Default Sony Pictures could stop releasing movies on the 480i DVD format to save money

Sony Pictures could stop releasing movies on the 480i DVD format to save money on DVD authoring and pre-mastering cost

The Blu-ray format within a few months will be 6 years old. There are several Blu-ray devices on the market. Consumers can purchase standalone Blu-ray players, portable Blu-ray players, and Notebook computers with Blu-ray drives in them. Standalone Blu-ray players can be purchased for as low as $49.99 when they are placed on sale. In addition, every single Blu-ray device currently in production will play DVD and audio CDís also.

Video streaming services like VUDU have become a standard feature offered on all new standalone Blu-ray players and almost all new HDTVís. VUDU allows customers to rent or purchase streaming movies at 1080P quality with 5.1-7.1 lossy surround sound (possible in the future lossless audio as Internet bandwidth increases).

If Sony stopped releasing movies on the 480i DVD format the following would occur

1. Sony Pictures would save money by only needing to author and pre-master Blu-ray optical discs. In addition, Sony could save money by stopping Sony DVD player production and only release new Blu-ray players (consumers would play their DVDís on Blu-ray players).

2. Consumers that wanted to purchase the new Sony Pictures movies would either purchase it on the Blu-ray format or purchase it from VUDU as a lifetime streaming option (or other streaming provider like Amazon).

3. Consumers that wanted to rent the movie would have several choices:
a. Blu-ray disc rental.
b. Cable and Satellite video on demand rental.
c. VUDU streaming rental option (or other streaming provider).

4. Demand for standalone Blu-ray players, portable Blu-ray players, and Notebook computers with BD-ROM drives would greatly increase.

5. The Blu-ray new release movie titles would be around $5 cheaper since the Blu-ray/DVD combo packs would no longer exist. Some people boycott some combo packs that contain a Blu-ray and DVD in every package.

6. Every Sony Pictures new release would be available on Blu-ray for the very first time: Currently some low budget Sony Pictures movies are only released on 480i DVD format and 1080P VUDU streaming (the Blu-ray format is completely skipped).

Other cost cutting methods could also be done by Sony Pictures

Sony Pictures should look at how many millions of dollars it is spending on BD-LIVE and how many consumers have had Blu-ray disc loading problems because of BD-LIVE. It might be in Sonyís best interest to discontinue the BD-LIVE feature on all new Blu-ray discs. I have used BD-LIVE several times and it is a neat feature but I could live without it.

Sony Pictures could start offering a video streaming movie rental service with BD-LIVE to generate some revenue.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 AM

I dont know what are you talking about, Sony has a pretty awesome performance in Blu rays( they rocks in audio against Universal, WB, Paramount, Fox) and its DVDs are great.

At least all the old DVDs that I have from Sony rocks in A&V.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Banned

To clarify my Sony ideas post:

I recently was reading an article about Sony going from a value of $200 billion to $20 billion and predicting a loss of another 2.7 billion dollars.They are reorganizing and cutting 10,000 more jobs.
http://www.twice.com/article/482895-Sony_To_Cut_10_000_More_Jobs.php

If Sony stopped DVD production and did only Blu-ray production they could save more money. Also getting rid of BD-LIVE would improve Blu-ray disc-loading issues while at the same time save money.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 AM

5. Some people seek out combo packages which include both a blu-ray and dvd version of their title in order to have both HD at home and a portable version for elsewhere.

7. Sony would lose all their revenues from selling DVDs to those folks not interested in getting involved with blu-ray. With optical media sales generally still favoring DVD by something in the 75% DVD vs. 25% Blu-ray range . . this particular factor would be very ugly . . . for Sony.

I expect even Sony isn't quite this foolish.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Former Member

Thread is misleading. With said headline, and immediate jump into a tangent, one doesn't see it's a poster's OPINION, and placement in THIS forum, rather than smackdown or an area where debating financial viability is norm, also makes someone think this is a headline, not an opinion piece.

rewording headline to SHOULD Sony Pictures stop....etc would make more sense and mislead less people.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I expect even Sony isn't quite this foolish.
Are you sure?

They've proved me wrong time and time again.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Correct me if I'm wrong - but 480i dvd format does not exist. The frame is 720 x 480P, it's up to the player to display it in "i" mode if the display device doesn't support it, so this article isn't exactly written well.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong - but 480i dvd format does not exist. The frame is 720 x 480P, it's up to the player to display it in "i" mode if the display device doesn't support it, so this article isn't exactly written well.
No, DVD is natively 480i. Progressive scan and upconverting DVD players have to deinterlace the video stream after MPEG decoding.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.